Help with an old problem, bowl water drops after refill

Users who are viewing this thread

dunkinidaho

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered before, maybe recently. After the tank and bowl refills the water level will drop about 1/2-3/4 inch. Vent problem? siphon problem? or could it just be this cheap Chinese toilet I have.

thanks

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
My guess is that it is installed in a tiny powder room and the door is a tight fit without a gap under it. When you close the door it creates an air pressure pulse that pushes water around the bend.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The toilet bowl can only be filled so high (unless it is clogged) before it self-levels at a specific depth. Now, this can take a minute or two after the fill stops. After that time, for it to chance, there has to be some other force, or a leak. A back-to-back toilet that isn't plumbed properly can cause water to affect the toilet opposite it, as can high winds creating pressure waves in the vent system (this can rock the water, causing some to slosh over the weir and lower the level). You can determine the max level by slowly pouring water into the bowl (pouring too fast can make it flush), then letting it sit for a few minutes...that's as high as it ever will sit.

dunkinidaho

Reaction score
The toilet bowl can only be filled so high (unless it is clogged) before it self-levels at a specific depth. Now, this can take a minute or two after the fill stops. After that time, for it to chance, there has to be some other force, or a leak. A back-to-back toilet that isn't plumbed properly can cause water to affect the toilet opposite it, as can high winds creating pressure waves in the vent system (this can rock the water, causing some to slosh over the weir and lower the level). You can determine the max level by slowly pouring water into the bowl (pouring too fast can make it flush), then letting it sit for a few minutes...that's as high as it ever will sit.

Did the test and it looks like the water level is where it's supposed to be. Just seems a bit low to me. Thanks for the help

Dunkinidaho

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The water depth in the bowl varies by design and some of the newer low-flow toilets are pretty low, or, they have a very narrow water spot. This is especially true with dual-flush toilets since they still need to empty the entire bowl whether it is their low or higher volume flush...there just can't be all that much there or it gets diluted, not purged from the bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks