Help with adding common wire (with wiring diagram)

Users who are viewing this thread

Underwhere

Reaction score
I have 3 zone valves I'm dealing with.
Currently with 18-2 wire.

I ran new 18-5 wire but want to confirm what I need to do to add the common wire.

I'm going to replace the connections that already exist with the 18-2...and I believe I should connect the new common wires on the 18-5 to L2 in this diagram. So L2 will have multiple wires on it (3 new and 1 original)

Does that seem correct? I've uploaded a file which accurately depicts my current wiring situation.

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 455

Stuff

Reaction score
NO!!! L2 is on the 120 volt side. You only want low voltage (24 volt) going to your thermostats.

The easiest should be to connect the common to the C terminal on the valves.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, not all boilers or furnaces run on 120vac, so L1 and L2 might both be hot. Regardless, you want to keep your 24vac stuff isolated on the secondary side of the transformer for it to work properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks