Help with 2" Cast Iron Hub

Users who are viewing this thread

victorhall

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've been a huge fan of this forum, and have found many good answers on this site before thanks to the search engine. This time, however, I ran into a snag that's got me stumped, and greatly appreciate your sage advice!

I've got a 2" cast iron hub sticking out of the ground. Above the hub was a galvanized steel system joined with lead and oakum. The steel was at the end of its life, and I am looking to replace with PVC. The joint is out, but none of the Fernco donuts fit: I tried the SV size from the big box store, and special ordered the XH size (P/N 22UX-205). But it's still too small. The ID of the hub is about 3 1/4", which according to the rep at Fernco is in-between sizes, making a donut not an option.

I think the most painless solution is to buy a short section of cast iron, and remake a lead/oakum joint, then attach with a rubber coupling to PVC. But I have some unknowns:

1. Does the cast iron look to be in good enough shape for this?

2. Is the lead/oakum something an ambitious DIY'er can do? I can weld and solder, and am not afraid to do a little research and get my hands dirty.

Thanks in advance!
-Vic

SAM_1269.jpgSAM_1270.jpgSAM_1278.jpgSAM_1272.jpgView attachment 13550SAM_1273.jpg

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did you try the rubber insert with a piece of PVC stuck into it, because the pipe expands the rubber. If so and it's still too loose you can get a caulking ferrule from any plumbing supply house.

victorhall

Reaction score
Did you try the rubber insert with a piece of PVC stuck into it, because the pipe expands the rubber. If so and it's still too loose you can get a caulking ferrule from any plumbing supply house.

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the reply! I did try the rubber insert with the PVC already sleeved, and it was still fairly loose. What's the scoop on caulking ferrules? Do they provide a leak-tight seal? I wonder if they're allowed by Code (I'm under the International Plumber's Code in my area.)
-Vic

KULTULZ

Jack of all trades, Master of none
Reaction score
I did try the rubber insert with the PVC already sleeved, and it was still fairly loose. What's the scoop on caulking ferrules? Do they provide a leak-tight seal? I wonder if they're allowed by Code (I'm under the International Plumber's Code in my area.)

-Vic

They are legal and arguably the best way to transition to PVC

Can someone explain how to use a caulking ferrule? I am going to have the same problem with a neighbor's house and would like to know how to replace existing galvanized to 2" hub properly with CI NH.

I hate to hijack a thread but I think this info should be contained within this thread for future search.

THANX GUYS!

Attachments

• Cast Iron Hub- FERNCO Donut_5.jpg
    Cast Iron Hub- FERNCO Donut_5.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 2,101
  • Caulking Ferrules.jpg
    Caulking Ferrules.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2,409

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Inserting ANYTHING into a cast iron hub is done the same way. You place it in position, pack oakum around it leaving about a 1" space above it, melt the proper amount of lead, pour it into the joint, then hammer the lead tight with inside and outside calking irons. Most "ferrules" are threaded which is not always the best way to transition to plastic.

KULTULZ

Reaction score
HJ,

I will remove the present galvanized pipe (pressed into cast iron hub in floor) and replace with hubless cast iron into the hub. The neoprene gaskets are not up to the job?

How does one use the ferrules? Are they necessary for hub/spigot to hubless?

victorhall

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies. I'm leaning heavily towards the cast iron stub, with a lead/oakum joint. Just gotta find a supply store locally that'll cut me off a few inches of 2" cast iron...or I'll just have 9'8" of "extra" pipe laying around :)

I've read that you can lead directly onto PVC, but I imagine that there's more skill to that, since you have to keep the temperature of the lead low enough to not melt the PVC. Looks like PVC's melting point has a pretty wide range, and lead's is within that range.

I'll try to get pics of the solution when it's all said and done.
-Vic

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Looks like PVC's melting point has a pretty wide range, and lead's is within that range.

Maybe so, but hot water will "soften" PVC very rapidly and molten lead is a LOT hotter than that. Cast iron joints cast before the advent of rubber "donuts" did not necessarily have to conform to any rigid standards, (in fact before "spin casting" it did not even have to be concentric), which means a rubber donut may, or may not, fit it perfectly, plus you have to clean the interior of the hub very thoroughly to give it a smooth surface to seal to.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
You can also use lead wool,it compact the same as a poured joint.
But it may be hard to find.
The last time bought it was 1999.

Google lead wool having a problem with links.

Attachments

• lead wool.jpeg
    lead wool.jpeg
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,909
Last edited:

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
If you need a little bit of CI, let me know. I have some 2", some 4", and a few fittings. It is used, but solid. I could send you a piece. I'm in central VA, so it would get to MD in no time.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Lead wool is not legal. To caulk PVC to c.i. you can avoid melting the ferrule by stuffing a wet rag into it when you make the pour. Some scorching will occur and you need to be well ventilated and do not breath those plastic fumes. Other than that the procedure is the same. Be sure the lead and plastic has cooled before you set the lead.

Plumber2011

Expert Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.norwoodplumbing.com
If you go PVC install a PVC manhoff fitting (only found at a local plumbing supply store or online) into the hub first and then use oakum and lead or oakum and a LEAD SUBSTITUTE to seal the fitting into the cast hub...see images. Here, the PVC manhoff fitting is very thick and easily withstands the molten lead pour.

You may also want to check with your local plumbing supply store and see if they have both the service weight type and extra heavy type donuts....betting the extra heavy (XH) donut will fit this hub...;)

Questions? Let me know, OK?

Attachments

• manhoff.jpg
    manhoff.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 2,005
  • Soil%20Seal.jpg
    Soil%20Seal.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,121
Last edited:

victorhall

Reaction score
Pay it forward

WOOHOO! Poured my first lead and oakum joint. No fuss, it appears to be leadk-tight, and I'm feeling a nice sense of accomplishment. You pros, feel free to criticize the work! If I did it wrong, I'd like to know. And hopefully someone can learn from any mistakes I may have made in the future.
A HUGE thanks to nukeman for helping me out with a short piece of cast iron to use. I owe you one!!!

Bought a 5 lbs lead cake from my local specialty plumbing store, along with some oakum.

I packed the oakum down, and tamped it with a hammer and home-made yarning tools made with short sections of PVC - this allowed me to make proper angles to pack the stuff down. Consequently, I used a screwdriver, and more pieces of custom-cut PVC to caulk the joint once it was poured.

I used MAPP gas, and an old pot to melt the lead - had the fire extinguisher nearby, and was careful about not burning the house down.

Here are some pics:
IMG_2151.jpgIMG_2157.jpgIMG_2159.jpgIMG_2162.jpgIMG_2165.jpg

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Looks good to me.I am old school taught I was trained to do pours on horizontal joints and also to do a wiped lead joint. Now that is a fun thing to do.

KULTULZ

Reaction score
WOOHOO!

Poured my first lead and oakum joint. No fuss, it appears to be leadk-tight, and I'm feeling a nice sense of accomplishment. You pros, feel free to criticize the work! If I did it wrong, I'd like to know. And hopefully someone can learn from any mistakes I may have made in the future.

Congratulations!

Very impressive and informative.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks