Help - washing machine hose and standpipe issue

Users who are viewing this thread

TGC

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First post for this first time home owner. Our house was built in 1971 and I am at a loss on how to hook up the washing machine.

For some reason the house has a hose coming out of the standpipe in the wall that is the same size as the drain hose coming out of our washing machine. How am I supposed to connect the two? Wouldn't that cause an issue for potential backups? We have a home warranty but I want to try and avoid having a plumber tear the wall open.
Hose.jpg
IMG_6561.JPG

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the inside diameter of that "standpipe"?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Okay, that's kind of weird. Someone jammed a pipe in there. You might be able to pull that out though. Normally there is a 2" ABS pipe there in the box.
You can also call up an appliance place and order a new hose for the washer if needed.

TGC

Reaction score
Fixed! (I hope). Terry, thanks for your input, the guys at Home Depot and Lowes were all stumped too. I had tried pulling on it before but didn't want to pull too hard. After you said that I tried twisting it (to make sure it wasn't connected to anything) and then I had a feet on the wall pulling as hard as I could moment and sure enough a 12-14inch black tube came right out! Why in the world would they do that? The house was vacant before we moved in but that still doesn't make much sense to me. Thanks again!

IMG_6571.JPG
IMG_6572.JPG

TGC

Reaction score
hole diameter is only 1 1/4 inch and the hose in 1 inch, would that cause any issues?

Reach4

Reaction score
hole diameter is only 1 1/4 inch and the hose in 1 inch, would that cause any issues?
You will tell us. You know it does not meet the standards of today or probably 1971. That does not mean it is not going to work for you.

If you want a worse case, try doing a load of wash with more detergent than usual.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In the USA, code requires that standpipe to be 2", and some of the newest front loaders that sling water very fast, can overload smaller pipes. A front loader tends to have much higher velocity spin cycles than the older top loaders.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I noticed the water connections comes from the top. Red on right (hot?) blue on left (cold?). Handle colors really have no impact but after you run some water do check which is cold and hot. With your new discharge hose you may find that it will pop out when the washing machine starts pumping out the water. Apparently the previous owner had to really jam down the hose so it would not pop out. Also, very old machines did use or at least the had a fitting so you could could use a rubber discharge hose as was there. They will not fit or work (too much back pressure) on machines made in the last 30 years or so, however, they're still sold in stores. With adapters I'm sure many do use these rubber hoses but it really puts stress the pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks