Help Very Frustrated

Users who are viewing this thread

patty120499b

Reaction score
I have a old hand dug well its about 15 feet deep with 3 feet of water. My pump is running non stop. I disconnected the water line and hooked up a garden hose thinking mabye i had a leak underground from the well house to our home but it still continued to run. I beat on the pipes with a pipe wrench and that seemed to stop it for a little bit then within a fe hours it was running non stop again. Right before winter i had to take the pressure tank out and clean it out because it was short cycling, when i would run water my lights would flicker then my pipes started baning but cleaning the tank seemed to fix that problem. my question is for the pump to continue to run all the time could this mean my pressure tank is clogged again. And if my pump isnt shutting off where is the water going that its pumping? My pressure hasnt changed any but my water has been cloudy. Another stpid question should my pressure tank have water in it or should it always feel emepty?

Last edited:

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
Numerous things can cause a pump to run constantly.
First, check the air pressure in the tank with a tire gauge. It should be two psi below your cut-on pressure with the pump off and the water pressure drained down. If water comes out of the air valve, the bladder is shot and it's time to replace the tank.
Another problem could be the pressure switch or the connections to it (clogged or partially clogged with rust, scale or debris). Turn the power off or unplug the pump and disconnect the pressure switch connections to clean out eveything.
Another problem might be the foot valve or point. You may have to pull it to check that out.
Good luck!
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks