Help venting small bathroom in basemment

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by rcdba, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

If that 2" wye is below the floor and is just a vent then no, that doesn't work either
  2. rcdba

rcdba New Member

That isn't a vent. It's a wet vent. It comes from the lavatory which then rises to the vent.

Richard

new2.jpg
  3. rcdba

rcdba New Member

On the subject of venting. What is the maximum distance you can go horizontal before going up to the roof ? basically, how far to plumb from the vent ?
  4. nukeman

nukeman Nuclear Engineer

Once you are in the dry part of the vent (horizontal >42" above floor), there are no limitations on distance that I am aware of. The vent should have a slight slope back towards the drain. This will allow condensation or rain water run to the drain. Other than that, you just need to support the pipe and run it however works best for you to get it to the attic. Once in the attic, you can often tie into an existing vent to eliminate another penetration in the roof.

You may want to double check, but I seem to recall a vent size of 1/2 the diameter of the largest drain that you are venting under IPC (I believe your code is based on that). If so, making the toilet 3", would allow a 1.5" vent. If you stay 4", then it would need to be 2". It would be best to check and be sure, though.
  5. rcdba

rcdba New Member

View attachment 18595 [/QUOTE]

Do I need a floor clean out any where on this layout ? I really don't want a clean out in front of my toilet. I figure I can snake from either shower or lavatory.

Richard
  6. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

There is no requirement for a floor clean-out in your layout.

I would put a 2" clean-out in the wall below the lav's sanitary tee.