Help venting small bathroom in basemment

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok.Because I'm trying to vent everything through the lavatory in a really small bathroom, I reworked my plumbing layout. Hopefully, everything is good. I added an image. Question:. If the 2 inch wye (which connects to the shower drain) is on its side, is it still vented. Or should I turn it up ?

View attachment 18585

Thanks for your help,
Richard

If that 2" wye is below the floor and is just a vent then no, that doesn't work either

rcdba

Reaction score
If that 2" wye is below the floor and is just a vent then no, that doesn't work either

That isn't a vent. It's a wet vent. It comes from the lavatory which then rises to the vent.

Richard

new2.jpg

rcdba

Reaction score
On the subject of venting. What is the maximum distance you can go horizontal before going up to the roof ? basically, how far to plumb from the vent ?

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Once you are in the dry part of the vent (horizontal >42" above floor), there are no limitations on distance that I am aware of. The vent should have a slight slope back towards the drain. This will allow condensation or rain water run to the drain. Other than that, you just need to support the pipe and run it however works best for you to get it to the attic. Once in the attic, you can often tie into an existing vent to eliminate another penetration in the roof.

You may want to double check, but I seem to recall a vent size of 1/2 the diameter of the largest drain that you are venting under IPC (I believe your code is based on that). If so, making the toilet 3", would allow a 1.5" vent. If you stay 4", then it would need to be 2". It would be best to check and be sure, though.

rcdba

Reaction score
View attachment 18595[/QUOTE]

Do I need a floor clean out any where on this layout ? I really don't want a clean out in front of my toilet. I figure I can snake from either shower or lavatory.

Richard

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There is no requirement for a floor clean-out in your layout.

I would put a 2" clean-out in the wall below the lav's sanitary tee.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks