Help, used a lot of water, now low pressure and sand

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike_Balt

Reaction score
Our well/pressure tank set up has been great, good pressure, etc. on going problem with sand (builds up in bottom of toilet tanks, but I was planning on putting a filter after the pressure tank to catch this stuff (not in yet).

Anyway, I had to run the hose a lot last night and this morning (30 min last night, 15 this morning, full out, no nozzle). An hour later, I noticed pressure in the house was down. Figured it would fix itself. Maybe well was slow filling this time of year.

It's been 12 hours and pressure is still down (maybe half of normal) and I'm getting a ton of sand (washer jammed on wash cycle, had to clean screen in order to rinse. Gave son a bath and had a bunch of sand in bottom of tub).

I figure the well is murky from being run low, but will this right itself or do I need to take some action?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

thanks
Mike in Baltimore

Speedbump

Reaction score
Your well should not be pumping sand Mike. If it's new, get the driller to come out and make it right. If it's an older well, you will probably need to drill a new one. Your pump will wear out ten times faster pumping the amount of sand you described.

bob...

Mike_Balt

Reaction score
update and question

Bob,

Thanks for your response. Cleaned aerators and seems that pressure is good. possibly, pressure was fine yesterday, but I didn't know the faucets were clogged.

REgarding the well, it was drilled in '93. We bought the house two years ago and I noticed the toilets had sand in them. cleaned them out as well as aerators. On average, it takes about a year for a fine layer of silt/sand to cover the bottom of the toilet tank. I was going to put a 20" big blue sediment filter after the pressure tank to catch this stuff. What is the right fix?

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't like in line filters of any kind. I like backwashable filters. Then you don't have to keep buying those filters and change them all the time.

had a bunch of sand in bottom of tub

This quote had me thinking you had a real sand problem. Maybe not.

bob...

Mike_Balt

Reaction score
Thanks Bob - had a real sand problem yesterday (washer inlet clogged at end of wash cycle and would not rinse), but generally, not as bad. I clean the washer inlet every 3-4 months and takes a year to cover bottom of toilet tank.

Thanks again for your info.
Michael

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks