Help understanding well...water coming out of top

Users who are viewing this thread

bk82388

Reaction score
Moved into the house last summer, so I do not have a firm understanding about the well itself, not really sure the type or any real info. I noticed at the time that the head(?) of the well is different than any one I have seen before. Anyhow, it works and pressure is good, but I was outside yesterday and there is water pouring out the top through a spout that appears to be an attachment for a garden hose.

Can someone tell me what might be causing this? Is this normal?

Water pressure is good, and is holding steady at the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_2883.JPG
    IMG_2883.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_2884.JPG
    IMG_2884.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 475

Reach4

Reaction score
If you turn off the power to the pump, and wait 20 minutes, does that affect the water coming out?

If water continues to flow, you apparently have an artesian well. I am not sure what you should do about it. It will make things interesting around there in the winter.

bk82388

Reaction score
If you turn off the power to the pump, and wait 20 minutes, does that affect the water coming out?

If water continues to flow, you apparently have an artesian well. I am not sure what you should do about it. It will make things interesting around there in the winter.

The pump has been off for 20 mins now and the flow has not slowed at all. We just got through winter and there have been no issues, and since its been on the property for quite a while I assume its been making it through the winters just fine.

Does the water table being so high have an effect on the well? My basement flooded due to all of the melting snow and rain in the last 2 weeks, maybe the rise of the water table increases the pressure?

Any info on artesian wells that I should know?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would advise you to pipe that off to a low area on the property and put stainless steel screens in the pipe to prevent anything from entering that pipe.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the well regulations in Massachusetts. In Washington and Oregon, and probably many other states, this would be a violation of water well regulations. We have to be able to contain and control a flowing artesian well. It is considered a wasting of the resource to let an artesian well flow uncontrolled.

I have drilled artesian wells that have had as much as 20 psi at the surface, and others that have flowed as much as 300-400 gallons per minute, before being capped.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here in CT there are no regulations that state that artesian wells must be capped. Last year we did one that flows 10 gpm through a second 1.25 pitless, we got a letter from the inland wetlands official stating it was ok to discharge into the wetlands.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks