Help Understanding Shower Valves

Users who are viewing this thread

DanM

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I could not find it through the search functions.

I have a 1950s era shower with hot and cold volume controls that feed a transfer valve that sends the water to either the shower head or the 4 body sprays. The valves leak and the bodysprays don't spray. Parts are near impossible to find.

A few questions for the pros.

1. Does anyone make a modern, maintenance free cartidge for these valves? This will help me from ripping open my walls.
2. If this is not possible, what is the best course of action? Should I replace the volume valves and the transfer valve? Can I use a thermostatic valve to prevent scalding?
3. Can I use a single handle with a goof plate, skip the transfer valve and use body sprays with shut offs?

Thanks!

Dan

DanM

Reaction score
Oh... I have no idea. Does this picture help??

danm-shower.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Anything you do other than repair what you have would require bringing the system up to current codes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks