Help! Undermount kitchen remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Coral_Reefer

Reaction score
I'm posting on this forum because I have no plumbing or remodeling experience whatsoever. But I really want to replace my sink as it is in very poor condition.

Im going to purchase a stainless steel sink online and replace it myself with the help of my boyfriend hopefully. I know my sink is undermounted, but is it tiled in? Will I have to remove the tiles around the edge? Or can I Seperate it where it is cracked around the seal?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have to remove that "1/4 round" bead which is sitting ON the sink. Technically, the sink is NOT "undermounted", it is just recessed into the tile. Once the bead is removed the sink will lift out and the new one of the SAME size will drop in so you can replace the 1/4 round tile.

Coral_Reefer

Reaction score
Okay great! Thank you for the response. So I was planning on purchasing an undermount style sink but now can I just get a drop in sink instead and it will fit?

The sink measures 32x22 inches right now in the tile cabinet. When I take it out I should go off the measurement of the actual sink itself? Because I know there is like a lip under the tiles I Didn't account for.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The outside dimensions must match for it to fit. You wont' know those until you've exposed the outside edges. You'll be really lucky if you can get the 1/4-round tile trim pieces out without breaking them! And, you might find you also need to remove that thin sliver of a tile. To try, you'd need to carefully cut out the grout around them, then try to break the thinset holding them down with something like a putty knife, but I'd first start with a sharp utility knife (you'll need extra blades...they wear out quickly on grout and thinset), or maybe an oscillating tool that Fein invented (others are out there now). In the process, you may find that the plywood is damaged, and then you'll have other problems. Try to find some similar tile you can live with as a backup...they don't make much of that style any more, and it will be tough. You may be able to use something like this http://www.schluter.com/7315.aspx
Dilex-KSA.jpg

Coral_Reefer

Reaction score
Thank you for the response! :D:D Okay well I'm going to start with trying to remove those tiles and go from there. I appreciate the advice from you guys!! :D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are several tools you can use with grout removing blades. The sink SHOULD be 32"x21", because a 22" one, (commonly 33"x22"), is usually a top mount which would not work with your tile, although a top mount WOULD sit on top of the tile around your opening.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks