Help! Suddenly No Pressure, No Pumping

Users who are viewing this thread

lemmyb

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just discovered this brilliant site after searching on google for a manual for the borehole pump system that is installed in the house i am living in.

I recently moved into a house that has a well with a submersible pump and a 6ft high pressure tank. The pressure tank has a Square D 9013 FSG-2 switch and is controlled by a Tesla Guardian M 2G (single phase) control board. The setup is shown in the links/ pics below:
http://img171.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=pressuretank001a.jpg

About a month ago we started losing pressure, with pressure fluctuating slightly in tandem with the pump switching on-and-off at very short intervals (+/-30 seconds). I would switch off the power for a while and then switch back on, but there was no change. This went on for about a week before I drained the pressure tank and waited for about 6 hours before switching it on (we’d had a power cut hence the long wait). The pressure was back, in fact, it was stronger than before, rising to 4.5 bars when it had previously been averaging a low 2.5bars. For about a week the pressure would fluctuate between 2.5 and 4.5bars.
Then suddenly yesterday there was no pressure. I checked the power and the pump was on (the green “running” light on the control board was on), but there was no pumping. I switched off the system until early this morning when a little bit of water at very low pressure trickled into the house for about 15minutes, and that was it.

I have not had much experience with boreholes, and so my questions are:
1. What is happening? Having seen the pictures, does anyone know how this system works? (I have heard of pressure release valves & regulators, but I don’t see any on our system!)
2. On one of the days, the red light for “overload” was on. I switched off the pump. And switched it on after 15 minutes and it didn’t come back on. What is the meaning of this light?
3. There are a number of wells in our neighbourhood, and I am told that some are not pumping as the water table has fallen. Could this be the problem?
4. How can I tell the difference between a low water table and a malfunctioning pump?
5. We have regular powercuts, for 6 to 10hour periods. Is there any routine procedure that I need to follow when switching on the pump? (Somebody suggested that I should drain the pressure tank regularly…)

Any help I can get will be much appreciated. We dont get much municipal water, so i would really like to rectify this problem as soon as i can.

Regards
Lemmyb

Attachments

• pressuretank004a.jpg
    pressuretank004a.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 429
Last edited by a moderator:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Or it could be the tank is water logged and caused the pump to cycle on and off until it threw the overload in the motor. These will reset themselves after a few minutes and let the pump start again. After it trips the overload a few times your motor is probably toast.

lemmyb

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Or it could be the tank is water logged and caused the pump to cycle on and off until it threw the overload in the motor. These will reset themselves after a few minutes and let the pump start again. After it trips the overload a few times your motor is probably toast.

Thank you for the info!

What would cause the tank to be water logged?
And what is the overload, and would cause the overload to trip?

I'm sorry if my questions appear rather basic - am clueless about these things and am trying to learn.

regards
Lemmyb

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Depends on if it is a bladder tank or not. See this linnk for more info.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20849

Overloads in the motor shut it down when the amperage is to high. This happens when the pump has been cycling on and off frequently from a water logged tank, which means it has no air charge. Or it can pull to many amps when the well is dry and the impellers melt to the diffusers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks