Help! Submersible well pump runs but won't build pressure over 30 psi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
You can buy a toss out ammeter at harbor fright for 13$. Some of the home demon pumps have franklin motors, but the pump heads are crap. Buy a Grunfos or any number of USA pump heads with a Franklin motor on it. You can find them for not much more than the home depression pumps. I have bought those "rebuilt" pumps on e bay just to get the motors. I don't think Franklin has the werewithal to build cheap motors next to their regular low HP motors.

Right about the big well, lots of storage, but its still a very low capacity well. Pump into a 2500 gallon tank, then use your pressure tanks after it with another pump in the tank. And you don't want a 20 gpm pump in that well. Do the test suggested above - run the pump full on out a big line and see how long before you get air. Wondering why you have a 10" hole. Unusual.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
Do you still have your old pump that you pulled out? I want to see pictures of it, especially the motor.

Last edited:

Jgdominy446

Reaction score
Was this issue ever resolved or does anyone know the outcome? I have almost the exact same issue to the t. Any info would be appreciated.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Was this issue ever resolved or does anyone know the outcome? I have almost the exact same issue to the t. Any info would be appreciated.

This is a old thread. It would be best if you would start a new one.

Does your pump tank loose pressure when you are not using water ?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I bought a new control box for the pump, the one recommended by Home Depot for use with this pump.

I upgraded to a 1HP for several reasons. Mostly because my 1/2 hp only lasted 3 years and I figured that if I went with a stronger pump, it would last longer because it would not have to work as hard. Second reason was because I have 100 gallon pressure tank and the old 1/2 HP, 10 GPM pump took for ever to fill it up and could not keep up with high usage intervals, like when washing clothes and taking baths at the same time. The 1hp pump is a 20-GPM pump so I felt it would be better able to handle high usage intervals.

I have been here since 2007 and I have not had a pump last more then 3 years. I was on a different well (borrowed from neighboring land owner) until 2012. The water here is absurdly hard at around 1000 ppm, mostly calcium and iron. I believe this is one of the reasons the pumps burn out. All previous pumps quite working due to motor failure. I did a ton of research trying to find a pump that would last longer before I bought this everbilt and the general consensus is that all modern submersible are engineered to fail within 5 years (Designed Obsolescence), and a pump that will last 20 years (Like they did last century) cannot be found at any price. I purchased this Everbuilt because it had a 3 year warranty and the ones sold at Lowes and Tractor Supply only had a 1 year warranty. I figured that it had to be built at least a little better if the manufacturer was willing to risk giving it a 3 year warranty.

Here are my well stats.

Well Depth = 110 feet
Pump depth = 95 feet
Distance to water = 30 feet (From surface to water)
Well hole diameter = 10 inches
Total water volume = 79.6 Cubic feet.
Well production rate = 3 Gallons Per Minute
Pressure switch On/Off = 60/40 psi
Pressure Tank = 100 Gallon (Two 50 gallon tanks in tandem. This reduces rapid cycling).
Power Source = Power Grid
Supply Wire = 4 AWG Aluminum
Distance to Pole = 725 feet (from Power pole to the well)

Hopefully this will help.[/QUOTE

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks