Help! Shower overflows when washer is on!

Users who are viewing this thread

answerwoman

Reaction score
We have a washer & dryer, toilet and shower in a small room off our carport. For the second time in two weeks, the shower has flooded when the washing machine is doing a wash. It doesn't happen every time we wash, but twice in 2 weeks is 2 times too many! Any idea what is causing this?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You probably have a partially blocked main drain line. Washing machines output a lot of lint from your clothes, and depending on how things are installed, can ge a source of problems, or it could be any one of a number of things. Chemicals rarely help and compound problems for a plumber. Probably need to call a plumber to clean the line. Have you changed anything recently, like got a new washing machine?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think Jim hit the problem exactly. The drain is partly blocked. New washers dump their water much faster than the older ones, so a drain that is too small or one that is partly clogged causes exactly what you are experiencing. Don't try home remedies to fix this, the drain line needs to be snaked by a professional.

answerwoman

Reaction score
flooding shower in tampa

thanks for your replies. no changes in the past few months that i can think of. washer is several years old. man down the street from me said he had a similar problem, and it turned out to be frogs clogging his pipes! we do have plenty of frogs around here, but i've never seen one peeking out of my drain. anyway, you've convinced me to call a plumber. will let you know what it turns out to be. thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks