Help setting up storage tank system

Users who are viewing this thread

DiamondCarr

Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice recently. We have acquired a water storage tank and would like more details on setting up the system. Our pump is faster than our water recovery so I believe I understood there is a way to set it up so that the pump could supply the storage tank by running for a determined time; example; run for 2 min then off for say 30min repeating till "fill level" is reached. I have attached (hopefully) a crude picture of our current ( well to pressure tank to house and out buildings (with a D box w lever) and proposed ( Well, to storage tank, to jet pump, to pressure tank, to house and out buildings) setups. We would like to know if this should work and what kind valves, switches, sensors etc. we might need. Temporary storage tank is 300gal vertical 36" x 79" because it fits nicely in our below ground 6'x6'x7' well house, no worries about freezing water. We have been gifted with a 1500 gal vertical tank but will need excavate and build an "insulated house" for it and check it for leaks and clean it etc. winter is coming and our water situation is a bit critical. the new Goulds the well pro installed appears to be working too good. He obviously did not diagnose the real issue we had, just installed a new pump dropped it an additional 20 ft and called it good.
Thank you!

Attachments

• Well setup.pdf
    26.2 KB · Views: 508

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Your well pump can feed the storage tank at the top, but your jet pump needs to get its water from the bottom of the storage tank. You don’t want just a timer on the well pump, but rather a Dry Well Protection relay with a timer built in. The Cycle Sensor looks at the amps of the well pump and knows when it is running dry. It then shuts off the well pump and has a timer that can be set from 1 to 500 minutes to restart the pump. Then you need a pump up float switch in the storage tank to completely shut off the well pump when the storage tank finally gets full.

Last edited by a moderator:

DiamondCarr

Reaction score
Can our current pressure tank (120gal) be used or do we need to change to the sidekick?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A CSV will work with any size tank. You may want to narrow up the delta on the switch as much as possible so that you won't have to wait so long to get higher constant pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks