HELP- Sealing Grout

Users who are viewing this thread

cma

Reaction score
Hello Group,

I've got a problem. I had a new tile shower with tile floor, and a tile bench and a tile bathroom floor installed on a concrete below-grade basement floor. Cement backer board was used on the shower walls but I don't know what was used on the floor or if it was laid directly on the concrete floor. The person that did the tile tells me that the grout does not need to be sealed.

Is this correct?

Thanks a million,
CMA

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First off, grout sealer is only to help keep the grout clean(er) than it would be without. It will help by helping to repell some stains, sort of like using a Teflon pan...things don't stick to it, so they wash off easier. It will do nothing to waterproof the shower.

So, to help keep things clean, unless they used epoxy grout, a sealer will help. Is it necessary, no.

Not all sealers are created equal, and the good stuff is not cheap - like $150+/gallon (now you should need nowhere near that amount, but like most things, smaller bottles often cost more per unit). One I like and have used is made by Stonetech. Depending on use and the type you install, you might have to reapply anywhere from once every 6-months to many years. Check out the store at www.johnbridge.com and their website for help with tiling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks