HELP! Replacing this P trap

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by malbrax, Jul 17, 2013.

1. malbrax

malbrax New Member

Is it possible to replace this setup with ABS?

IMG_2704__1374101077_69.165.237.210.jpg

That is how it was originally set up, I tried removing the U trap to clean but it was rusted and broke from the 90 bend pipe. The U trap and the 90 bend both broke off and unfortunately the 90 bend pipe is either soldered or glued to the main drain pipe. How can I replace this without spending $$$$$$$ on a plumber as its something we can't afford at the moment. I am not really familiar with plumbing but I am trying my best!

IMG_2705__1374101197_69.165.237.210.jpg
    IMG_2706__1374101389_69.165.237.210.jpg
    IMG_2707__1374101531_69.165.237.210.jpg
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You need a brass trap, you cannot use a plastic one. You have to "melt" the solder from the old connection and pull it out, then remove the chrome plating at the same location on the new trap, then solder the new trap to the drain line.
  3. malbrax

malbrax New Member

would soldering a 1.25'' brass trap adapter let me have a plastic setup?
  4. hj

If that is 1 1/4" copper, and you could find one, (I haven't seen any for the past 40 years).
  5. Sean Beck

Sean Beck Plumber

Cut the copper drain close to where it enters the wall, leaving a couple of inches. Use an 1.25" copper to 1.5" ABS MJ coupling and redo the drain in ABS. This is dependant on the property not being a high rise. If that's the case, then the drain would have to be done in either copper/brass or System 15 PVC.
  6. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Seems like a whole lot of fuss when you could just replace the trap with another chrome one.
  7. hj

quote; Seems like a whole lot of fuss when you could just replace the trap with another chrome one.

Yes, but some people like the challenge of converting a mole hill into a mountain.
  8. Sean Beck

Sean Beck Plumber

I think he said both sides of the trap had corroded and broken.