help repairing shower valves

Users who are viewing this thread

geogridshorthair

Geologist
Reaction score
Website
laderasystems.net
i can not figure out how to disassemble these valves.

there is no set screw to remove the handles.

i get very low water pressure from this shower while i have good pressure from every where else in the house.

house was built about 1993.

home depot and a quality plumbing supply store could not identify these valves.

steve in southern CA

Attachments

• DSC01968.jpg
    DSC01968.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 527

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Grohe and you have to pull them off with pliers, but protect them with tape or something else so you do not damage the finish where you grip them.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Grohe...

A name usually associated with higher quality products than big box stores sell.

Also associated with being a PITA (Pain in the ***) to work on and get parts.

geogridshorthair

Geologist
Reaction score
Website
laderasystems.net
thanks with the help on these

hj, you are probably right; they're Grohe Classic. Probably the 25540 00. Using the extension too.

Now i just need to find a place to order the parts from, any suggestions?

BTW, this site is great.

I had to rebuild a Grohe thermostatic valve at my inlaws home in Saratoga, CA and I did not have a clue where to start. But using this web site and help from hj and others I was able to ID the parts and complete the project.

Great site, thanks to all that contribute.

steve

Attachments

• E25540US.jpg
    E25540US.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 501
  • E29238US.jpg
    E29238US.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 491

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did you try removing the shower head? If it is blocked with debris, that would cause low pressure.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Grohe

If it were a tub shower valve, even if only used for a shower, then I would say forget about improving the flow if both hot and cold were bad and it did not improve when both were opened. I had one like that years ago and it was impossible to cure it because the space around the restrictor tube was corroded shut.

geogridshorthair

Geologist
Reaction score
Website
laderasystems.net
not in the shower head

The first thing I did was remove the shower head and clean it in vinegar.

That was the easy thing to do.

I had spent some time trying to remove the handles (pulling, twisting and swearing). The strange thing is; now the pressue is significantly better. If there was a calcified obstruction in the valve body it must of come loose during this activity.

I still might order the parts to rebuild the valves, but I believe in the saying "if its not broke don't fix it". So the parts might just sit in the garage for awhile.

steve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks