help removing cast iron closet flange

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by jevard, Jan 31, 2008.

1. jevard

jevard New Member

I'm removing a half bath permanently and laying wood floor over it. I need to remove the cast iron toilet closet flange and plug the pipe. I was planning to use a cherne plug, but I need to remove the flange first and cut down the pipe below the sub floor. How do I remove this flange?

http://www.cherneind.com/

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2010
  2. JimmyPipewrench

JimmyPipewrench New Member

can you access it from underneath? (basement, crawlspace)
  3. TMB9862

TMB9862 New Member

I don't believe any of those plugs are made to be perminant. Do you have access to below? Are you on a slab, basement, or crawlspace? Is this line now completely dead or does it carry waste from somewhere else?
  4. jevard

jevard New Member

I have a crawlspace and the toilet drain line is dead but ties into the main drain line that is still being used. I may want to tie into the toilet line though, so I didn't want to remove the whole thing.
  5. JimmyPipewrench

JimmyPipewrench New Member

cut it off after the toilet elbow underneath with a chain cutter or a carbide sawzall blade and i would use a fernco cap instead. its rubber with a hose clamp an goes over the pipe. but that is just a personal preference.
  6. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

Yup that is a great way to do it.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

flange

If all you have to do is remove the flange, then hit it with a hammer. or a hammer and chisel, a few times on either side and it will crack in two and then you just pull the two pieces off and then remove the lead and oakum from the exterior of the pipe. The best place to hit it is at the points where the bolt slots are.
  8. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

Instead of the fernco cap, get a no hub band and a hard cap...
    They will not rot away or get eaten through by rodents...
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

?

Using a No-Hub coupling and a hard cap is one way, but then he would have to place a red traffic warning cone over it so people do not trip over it.