Help removing a shower valve stanadyne

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Fubar411, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Fubar411

Fubar411 New Member

I'm having a slow drip from my shower head. I removed the handle and probably need to replace some rubber. How do I pull this out?

Attached Files:

2. dcelite

dcelite Plumber

Looks like a Moen cartridge remover is in you future.
  3. Fubar411

Fubar411 New Member

4. dcelite

dcelite Plumber

Slide that metal tube off of the valve and you'll see a little copper clip sticking out of the top of the brass cartridge housing. TURN THE WATER OFF. The clip will pull straight up and out (you may need to grab it with needle nose pliers or a small pointed object to get it started). Now you're ready to pull out the cartridge. Follow the instructions included with the cartridge puller or with the new cartridge.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Moen

We cannot tell whether you have a plastic or brass cartridge in that faucet. If it is plastic it should come out with only a little difficulty. If it is brass its removal, as far as being a DIY job, can range from difficult to impossible without one or more specialized removal tools.
  6. Fubar411

Fubar411 New Member

THANK YOU!

Amazing, it was very easy to do. Compared to the other cartridges out there, is this an easier one? Great advice.

One more question. I'm trying to get the drain overflow stopper thing to work so the bathtub will hold water w/out a pop up drain. It is plastic and from the hole downstairs it says it is GERBER. I've tried both brass and plastic cylinders to close it off, even put some petroleum jelly on them. The plastic one almost works, but the water still drains. Any tricks? I have access right now, if Gerber is bad brand.
  7. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Gerber is actually one of the best in my opinion.

You need to find the stopper that fits your Gerber.
  8. Fubar411

Fubar411 New Member

Are there multiple sizes of Gerber stoppers? I bought one at the supply store and it seems to slide all the way down. Is there no stop for the cylinder or do I need a bigger size?

Thanks,
    Rob
  9. Fubar411

Fubar411 New Member

Ok, I may just replace the whole thing. Are the brass overflows the way to go these days or is plastic better?
  10. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

The cylinder should go all the way down and bottom out on a stop.
  11. Fubar411

Fubar411 New Member

Well crud, the threaded rod broke and it fell waaay down. I'm thinking just replacing.

So what do I use? Plastic or Brass?
  12. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

13. dcelite

dcelite Plumber

Our most popular drain is the Geberit cable drive waste and overflow. You attach one piece to the overflow and one piece to the tub drain and then plumb them together with a standard ABS san tee and pipe. If you're going to go with the trip lever style waste and overflow, you should use a brass one. The linkage on the plastic ones are too flimsy for my taste.
  14. Fubar411

Fubar411 New Member

Thanks for the replies.

Is it worth going for brass for the overflow tubes or just plastic?
  15. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

IMHO there is no finer waste and overflow than a Gerber...

But hey what do I know?
  16. thunderchiefb@gmail.com

thunderchiefb@gmail.com New Member

repair stanadyne shower valve

Please send me a quote for new shower stem and puller thunderchiefb@gmail.com nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012