help, re boiler system

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by aynat73, Nov 3, 2004.

1. aynat73

aynat73 New Member

i have just purchased a 1960's 3 bedroom semi which currently has a megaflo 95 water tank which is ran by a back boiler, I want to replace the back boiler and have recieved conflicting advice from various plumbers, most are saying that I should replace all pipework and radiators and fit a baxi 105he, but I have also been told to service the megaflo and install a normal potterton suprema (he) boiler, both are fairly expensive, so I want to make sure I make the right decision.
    hope someone can help :)
  2. e-plumber

e-plumber DIY Senior Member

Boiler Replacement

Generally when a heating boiler needs to be replaced, the existing heating piping and radiators are not changed, the boiler itself is swapped out for the new one. I would shy away from the contractors suggesting to replace the complete heating system. Get a referral for a reputable plumber in your area from family or friends.
  3. aynat73

aynat73 New Member

thanks, so would you recommend i stick with the megaflo?
  4. e-plumber

e-plumber DIY Senior Member

To be honest, I have never heard of any of these brands, (megaflo 95, baxi 105he, or a normal potterton suprema (he) boiler) and without being there, it is impossible to advise you on which decision to make.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

boiler

Is this a British system? Some of the terminology implies that it is, and if so you really need input from a local plumber who is familiar with the ideosyncrasies of that type of system.