Help purchasing gas H20 heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Patricia T

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new here and hope to find some advice in selecting a new gas H20 heater. The current installation is a plain-wrap variety of the contractor, 17 yr. old, single story, single family home of 2700 sq. ft., 2 1/2 baths. Due to some corrosion and the blanket, I cannot read the capacity but am guessing it's in the ballpark of 40 gal. I've also got a circulating pump w/timer installed due to length of the house and distance from garage (where installed) to the opposite end.

I generally am thorough in research but am not familiar with today's H20 heaters at all. I prefer quality without overkill and value for the $$. I'm checking with the folks here first to escape a sales pitch from local retailers as well as avoid any consumer pitfalls.

More info: I am single and spend about half of the year traveling on business, so there is not a need for a high recovery model or larger (than current) capacity. The water in my area is hard and there is rust and corrosion evident under the blanket. Recently I've discovered signs of an occasional small wet spot from the blanket. It's time to replace.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to manufacturer and models that I might consider? As mentioned, I prefer quality with value for the $$. Also, are there any other preventative measures that should be considered as a result of the hard water in my area?

Any advice would be most appreciated. :confused:

Thank you!

-Patricia

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are several good brands of water heater. The Rheem/Rudd seems to be quite popular. The great think about gas heaters is that they recover quickly so you don't need a super large one, even if you had kids and were using large amounts of hot water. A 40 gallon will be quite adaquate for your needs.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The one brand which turns up at a lemon on all the internet plumbing forums is Whirlpool. Bad Design.

Most other brands offer a "good-better-best" range of models, and you get what you pay for, as described by others. ON AVERAGE, you could expect a tank to last 25 to 50% longer than its' warranty. I had a 6 year builder tank (State) which was still working ( but struggling ) when I replaced it at the 16 year mark. Again, ON AVERAGE, most of the heaters in this 120 unit condo had already been replaced. I got lucky.

As far as warranty, unless you pay extra for extended service, most warranties are 1 year parts AND labor, and after the first year, it's only parts, so you will pay a hefty labor bill to replace a defective tank or part.

If you plan to be in your place 5+ years, get a 9 or 12. Otherwise, a 6 year tank will probably be fine for you.

Patricia T

Reaction score
Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. You've provided lots of good information that I had not considered.

Thanks again!

-Pat

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the life of a water heater varies due to local water quality, but if your tank is the original and is 17 years old, your water must be pretty easy on heaters. For that reason, I wouldn't worry too much about the extra years. I'd go middle of the road. :)

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
While I am no fan of Sears I replaced a Sears gas water heater 3 years ago that was 32 years old. They don't make them like they used to.

My dad built his house in the Boston area in 1954. At that time he bought a Sears 40 Gal. electric. It came with a "Lifetime Guarantee tank, parts and labor", the Guarantee also stated that if if ever failed it would be replaced with whatever Sears best was at that time and would have the same Guarantee as the original.

My dad got 3 water heaters out of them B4 they said he would have to take them to court over it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks