Help pulling well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

tartrazine

Reaction score
As you could see under a previous posting I made, I think that I burned out my submersible pump running my well for long periods throttled back to 4gpm. I'm just getting around to trying to replace it. I've read a few instructions and watched a few videos on pulling well pumps online. I was expecting to need to make a long T handled tool out of 1" pipe that I would lower into the well and screw into the top of a pitless adapter.

When I took the cap off my well though, it looks a little different than what I've seen. See the image below. Do I just screw a pipe into the pipe coupler sticking up there and pull? I'm hoping that this does not indicate that the drop pipe is galvanized. Note that here was a large nut on that piece of threaded rod sticking through the hole, that when I unscrewed it, it broke off a piece of that metal flange thing.

Also, is it a problem to leave the cap off like this, as far as bacterial contamination?

This is for well that's probably 40 years old, I think 160ft.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

well_2.jpg

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think that is a Merrill SPK?

The disc holds 1/2 of the pitless that is on the drop pipe at the correct depth to meet the other pitless 1/2 that is on the casing. The rod with the broken nut adjusts a wedge that holds the 2 pitless halls together to create a seal. You will need someone to weld another nut to the rod before you can loosen the pitless up.

It might be holding steel pipe, but maybe it isn't.

I have never used one of these, but I can see where it could be a real pain in the ass

tartrazine

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

So, how is this supposed to work, is the nut supposed to stay put, but turning it raises and lowers the rod and wedge? Does that mean I should have been turning the nut like I was tightening it, so the rod and wedge would be raised, unseating the pitless adapter? Then after that I could just screw a T pipe into the top and pull it up?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have never used one of those, but I went to the Merrill web site and saw a pic of one and think I figured out how it works.

It looks like you have to turn the nut counter clock wise to drop the wedge so the pitless will become unseated, then put a T bar on the coupling and pull everything out of the well.

I think the problem will be getting the wedge to drop due to rust on the inside of the casing and getting the unit lined back up and sealed when the pump goes back in.

Hopefully someone who has used one of these will add their experience.

tartrazine

Reaction score
I called Merrill. That nut should in fact be turned clockwise to raise the rod 3-4 inches, to raise the wedge below. Then the whole unit can be pulled up with a short T pipe pipe screwed into the top. This is going to be challenging, since I broke that support plate. I may be able to order a new one, once I get the unit out.

Here's a diagram:
http://www.merrillmfg.com/product/02-PitlessUnits/SPK-Pitless/features.php

So, is it a problem that I left the top cap off the well during a big storm, as far as any water or debris contaminating things? Or doesn't it matter until the SPK unit is pulled?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for showing that diagram it's a lot clearer than the other one I saw.

I bet you can find a well guy in your area who has dealt with this before and he knows exactly how to get it out without breaking your pocketbook.

I wouldn't leave the well cap off, it only takes a minute to put the bolts in

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks