Help plumbing my new garage.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Steven W., Sep 25, 2005.

1. Steven W.

Steven W. New Member

I am in the process of building a 30x40 steel building (garage) in my back yard. I have been digging the 12â€x16†footing for the concrete slab and plumbing for a water hose faucet and a sink faucet, including drain. My question is, can I run 1†schedule 40, PVC water line along the bottom of the footing and cover it with concrete? Does the water line have to be sleeved? There are already several existing water lines (sprinkler) crossing the footing.

Thanks!
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  2. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

there,s two issues here

when a pipe is running horozontally in the bottom of concrete, and into the concrete, it will crack and weaken the concrete. best pratice is to go under the concrete, then come up vert. in a sleeve. how about a drain line for a wash sink, toilet ect? not a bad idea to run one extra 3" or 4" pvc with a long sweep 90 in the back wall slab area, in the slab. this is handy in the future to pull in what ever. i,m a gen. contr. myself. don,t forget plenty of elec. for that welder!
  3. Steven W.

Steven W. New Member

The area where I have the water line run, the concrete will be approx 24" thick. It wouldn't be a big problem to burry the pipe though. I have burried a 4" drain pipe for a floor drain and will be tieing the sink drain to the 4". Does the sink drain need to be in a sleeve? Thank you for the reply!
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pvc

Depending on what the 1" pvc is for, and where it is going, as far as its water usage, you might not want to use PVC in the first place. It is not the most durable material and if it is going to be under concrete or inside a wall, you need a different material for the water line.
  5. Steven W.

Steven W. New Member

The 1" pvc is for 1) a water hose, and 2) a wash sink. I thought pvc was the #1 choice for plumbing these days. I was going to have 3/4" galvinized pipe coming up through the concrete with a boiler valve on the end.

Got it covered. Bought the breaker/load center today.

BTW, this garage is for my son (2 yrs old) and me to play with our hobby (street/strip mustang).

Thanks for the help.
  6. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

1' K copper is wise under a slab

use abs or pvc for the sleeves. i work in the trades with my 34 year old son. I, m blessed. take lots of pictures togeather
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipes

You do not want PVC under the concrete, inside the building, nor do you want galvanized pipes coming through the concrete. Period.
  8. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I think you'll find that copper is the #1 choice for water lines. PEX has made some converts, but I think there are still some questions about its longevity.
  9. Sahweeeet Ford you got there! Make sure the mechanicals you bring up through that concrete floor are correct and durable. That is very crucial as everyone has mentioned.