HELP PLS - Drainage for Filtration and Softener System

Users who are viewing this thread

ellamas

Reaction score
Hello,

My post is not related to the filtration and softener system itself but more drainage, which is why I didn't post this under the softener forum. Did have a post on what type of system to go with on that forum and got a lot of help with that in making my decision.

I'm going to have a carbon filtration tank and water softener installed. I can provide models but whats most important is the flow rate at 3.5gpm max. Will have two 2CF tanks each requiring drainage but both will regenerate / rinse at different intervals and not concurrently. System will be installed in the garage with the adjacent wall having a half bath. I will reference the attached pics further down to clarify layout and options. Also the pics shown are from almost a year ago during a water damage restoration project. The walls are fully finished now, but using these photos as reference for options.

Drainage Options:
  1. Install a utility sink in the garage and have both tanks drain to sink to maintain air gap.
    1. I thought a utility sink in the garage would be nice but likely the most challenging options due to elevation changes from adjacent bath and garage floor.
  2. Install a standpipe in the shared garage and bath wall. (reference pics)
    1. My thoughts would be do redo the sink connection at the tee and install a double wye or tee? Run the standpipe on the surface of the garage wall or for a clean look inside the wall with a laundry box. Believe I wouldn't need to do anything further to the vent?
  3. Run the discharge from the tanks up through the attic and down into the existing laundry standpipe.
    1. I would likely use an air gap type adapter but some on other posts have said its not needed. I'm not sure I agree though.
    2. Location of laundry in reference to garage wall (system install). Facing the wall, directly over is the bath. Laundry is to the right of the bath. total feet about 8 to 10 feet. This is not the length of the discharge line as again that would have to run up the garage wall about 5 or 6' to the attic and back down to the laundry standpipe. Likely total run would be 20 to 22'.
    3. This would of course be the least expensive option.

Please reference the attached pics:
  1. 'Garage Side' pic: where filtration and softener will be installed (in front of shown wall)
  2. 'Bath adjacent to garage' : other side of garage wall
  3. 'Laundry Standpipe'. btw, this is an old pic and the standpipe was redone to be fitted inside the wall and terminated with a box. Also GFCI was added - i know someone would comment on that ;)
From the three options and pictures attached what are the recommendations? Also, had an installer give me a 4th option in draining by connecting to the vent in the attic. He said he'd have a trap and proper air gap but pretty sure it's not code to do that, so not really considering that option unless the experts on this forum recommend it. I'm in Southern CA.

thank you

Attachments

• Bath - adjancent to garage.jpg
    Bath - adjancent to garage.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 260
  • Garage side.jpg
    Garage side.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 256
  • Laundry Standpipe.jpg
    Laundry Standpipe.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 259
  • Filtration_Softener - Floorplan.pdf
    84.7 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:

ellamas

Reaction score
I can't help, but I've got a similar situation. Just subscribing to this thread for answers. :)

Yeah so far not too much help on this one :)

I'm actually going with the sink option - know I'd regret it in the future if I went with one of the other options.

My contractor friend is going to help me install tomorrow morning. Would prefer to go with a double wye connection but not sure I have enough room. My garage sink will be directly on the backside of the bath sink. May need to go with a Y tee about a foot below the exsisting tee - might technical be out of code compliance. Perhaps I'll post a pic when done but of course would be worried that someone now chimes in that I did it wrong so should have done it a different way :(

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks