Help please with tub replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

DanM

Reaction score
I am in the early stages of planning my bathroom remodel that I will do this summer. The bathroom is original to the 50's and built very well.

My biggest concern with the remodel at this time is the cast iron tub. It is a nasty shade of yellow, but in otherwise good shape. I have two choices, have it refinished or replaced. Both have downsides. I am concerned about the longevity of the finish. I don't want to spend serious effort redoing the bathroom and then have a tub that looks terrible. Option two is replacing the tub. Smashing it out should be easy. However, I am not sure if I can get a new 66" tub in there without ripping out the 3/4" thick mud job that covers most of the walls.

Should i be concerned about the refinishing? Is it possible to squeeze a new tub in without taking out the mud job? As a compromise, can I replace it with a 60" drop in? I will have a small shelf in the back for the kids toys and soap bottles. Any other strategies I should consider?

Bonus question. What brands should we look at for tubs, sinks, and faucets?

Thanks!

Dan

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Anytime you pull and replace a tub you will be redoing the walls.
If it's truely cast, and not porcelain on steel, then you can refinish the tub and let it go when you see scatches in the finish as they will occur.
If it's steel, then you should toss it. They can rust out in that duration of time.

Replacement tubs.
Kohler makes the best cast iron tubs, and some good acrylic.
American Standard makes an Americast tub which is nice. It can still chip, but it's better than the standand porcelain on steel.
Toilets, I like TOTO, and then after those Kohler and American Standard. All have improved over the years.
Lavs, TOTO makes some very nice porcelain ones, and so does Kohler.
Faucets, for the tub, Delta, Moen, HansGrohe, Kohler
Faucets for the lav, same list, not really in any order.

DanM

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, Terry. I guess I should also look at the cost of ripping out and replacing the tub is about the same as refinishing the tub 10 times over. The next step is to find a reliable refinishing company.

And thanks for the brand referrals.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless refinishing it is "dirt cheap" there is no way replacing the tub is "10 times more expensive", unless you are working with a plumber who does not know how to do it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any refinishing you can do on-site will never be as robust and reliable as a factory applied glaze. It usually isn't cost effective to pull a tub, send it out for sandblasting then a new glaze applied. Epoxies or other 'paints' just don't last as long, and if not done really well, will chip and peel. If you want the remodel to last a similar time, put in a new tub!

Mudded walls I an excellent way to prepare them, but by no means the only way. Finding someone skilled enough to do a good job with new mudded walls can be done, but it is a skill that is becoming nearly extinct.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks