Help please - nearly no water

Users who are viewing this thread

silentriver

Reaction score
Ok about Christmas last year we started getting a leak in the boiler. I has taken until last month to get it fixed, so bascially we were without hot water so there was no leak.

The water preassure is very bad, a couple of times we have turned on the tap, cold including and there has been no water or a dribble.

The shower we have is electric and so takes its hot water from the emersier, this has been getting steadily too hot, to a scalding point. Or just spurts out some burning water at intervals.

We are 3 up in a tenament.

Is there any reason why we arnt getting water or have any presure???

what can we do to fix it, a plumber came in to eventally fix the boiler but that took 9 months......

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It is my understanding that in most places, no hot and/or cold water constitutes a problem large enough to declare the dwelling uninhabitable...the landlord is required to fix it "immediatley". I'm not a lawyer or a plumber...The place may be plumbed with galvanized, and it can often clog up with rust so that there is no room for water to flow when it gets old. The tankless hot water system will make waht little water flows very hot, since it is a dribble. My unprofessional opinion.

silentriver

Reaction score
unfortunatly we own the place so no landlord....

we had water laast night but it was spurty, again the morning it was unreliable. the hotwater seemed ok at first then it was a dribble of hot water, it seems like sometimes it is getting water, but not enough so it is scalding hot water.

It does feel inhabital at times, we have tried to get plumbers ot but they like the water are unreliable. It is a old building and as such will have old plumbing in it, which i know isnt great...

Im just hoping the plumbing inc the boiler doesnt need ripped out and started again.....

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
hot water

The way I read your question is that you have very little pressure on the hot water side.
Does the whole building have poor pressure?
Is the cold water flow as slow as the hot water?
Do the other flats have the same problem?
Are you on city water?
Are you calling whe water heater the boiler?
Do you have radiators in your rooms for heat?
Do you have steam or hot water for your heating system , which would be called a boiler? and is there a domestic coil of some sort inside your boiler that provides hot water for your shower etc.?
Or do you have a seperate water heater?
Can't you get a better picture of what the problem is from the person that worked on the system?

silentriver

Reaction score
ok im not always clear

we have a emersier for the electric shower

we have a gas boiler which heats the water and supplys the heating for the raidiators.

the cold water usually works but has sometimes not, the water pressure for the cold is not great but better than the hot.

The hot hasn't been working for 9 months ish, we had a leak in the boiler, so the hot water pipe was shut off to stop the leak until it was changed. It is now working but sometimes has next to no water coming out, which at times happens.

The shower which gets its water from the emerser still has problems with getting water, its as though it its not getting enough water full stop. It ends up scalding hot water with hardly any of it.

We are still to ask other people in the tennement if they are having problems, but it seems to be mainly us.

We also notice a smell outthe back when we water is going down the drain, i think we have very bad plumbing - drainage wise.

does it sound expensive, or does anyone have a thought as to why we would be having problems.....

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You likely have some major plumbing issues to deal with here which are far beyond a DIY repair job. It well may be a very expensive job, but the only way to find out for sure is to have a plumbing contractor evaluate the problem and give you professional advise and an estimate on cost.

abnorm

Aerial Photographer
Reaction score
Boilers and immersion heaters..........Hmmmmm

.........Perhaps SilentRiver is posting from "across the pond"............

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks