Help please...base not fitting problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Adrienne Gibson

Reaction score
We have an 11" rough in. We're replacing a 30 yo builder's grade (which in hindsight had no problems besides being old but it's gone. I think it may have been a Crane.)

We tried both 12" and 10" Drakes.

The base hits the wall on the 12", and the 10" leaves a big gap between the tank and the wall.

Trying to find a decent toilet that has a base set in. I think a 12" will work other than the base design.

The Toto Connelly would fit, but it's expensive.

American Standard looks like it will not.

Mansfield and Glacier Bay will fit but scared to use those due to reviews.

I found a Zurn Model Z5551 from HD for $211 but have to order it. I cannot find this model on the Zurn website. Does anyone know anything about these? Looks like mostly commercial.

Any advice is much appreciated!!!!

Reach4

Reaction score
The base hits on the 12... did it hit just the shoe molding or baseboard?

Reach4

Reaction score
Was that Drake II you tried? The non II Eco Drake looks like its base gives more space.
https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst744el.pdf
https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst454cefg-specs.pdf is Drake II.

img_1.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Adrienne Gibson

Reaction score
It was not the Eco. Not sure about II or non-II.

I was under the impression that toilets would be an easy thing to buy! Ummmm...nope!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We install the CST744 series Drake at 11" all the time.
If you have a true 11" center, you can also fudge out the bolts another 3/8" of an inch on a 3" flange.

The CST454 series Drake II needs 11.5"

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The Original Drake, CST744E, will absolutely fit on 11", assuming you don't have base molding or something in the way at the floor, and the wall is true vertically. I would re-measure that rough-in. Centerline of the flange to the finished wall. If that's 11", the non-II Eco base absolutely will fit. And as Terry says, if you need to use the slots in the base to slide it forward 3/8", you can. The hole in the flange is at least 3". The outflow hole is 2-1/8. So you have more than 3/8" all around that you can slide it forward a bit to fit. I have seen the Original Drake fit on 10-13/16". Make sure you have the right base, and try again.

If you have CST454CEFG, it needs 11.5".

The Connolly is absolutely not going to fit if the Original Drake doesn't fit.

And if the "base hits the wall", so what? I have one where the bottom of the base literally is pressed against the floor molding. Who cares? As long as it fits, and the tank goes on, you don't need any distance between the tank and wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks