Help out an electrical contractor would you?

Users who are viewing this thread

shadysprings

Reaction score
Here's a picture of what I'm working with.

closet-flange-blue.jpg

The top of the blue flange is 1/8" below the finished floor. (ya ya ya, I'm not a tile setter pro)

Am I okay with doing the double wax here? This bathroom has a history of leakiness. But now I've got a new toilet and new floor, so I'm trying to be careful to prevent leaking.

The bolts sticking up are too short for the Toto Drake. Any pro tips on how to replace the bolts? I don't have enough room due to the Nibco blue flange that's glued in.

Thanks for any help guys.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Am I okay with doing the double wax here?

There is likely something better, and the plumbers can tell you what.

The bolts sticking up are too short for the Toto Drake. Any pro tips on how to replace the bolts?

Rather than trying to replace them, just lengthen them. Go get a couple of right-sized "rod nuts", I think they are called, such as you might already use for connecting two pieces of all-thread together while hanging stuff. Then carefully grind or file away just enough of that flange to get the rod nuts all the way down, then shorten the studs you already have there and add the rod nuts and a couple of right-length pieces of all-thread ... and all in stainless, if possible.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You would have been a lot better off raising the flange before setting the tile...
As it sits you are wide open for a future of leaks and eventually redoing the floor once it is rotted out.

To make the best of this situation I would use 5/16" brass threaded rod with nuts and washers securing it to the existing flange. I would also install a closet flange spacer ring to bring it up to the proper height. Secure the closet flange and the spacer ring to the floor using 6 long #12 brass or stainless steel screws to the floor making sure they grip through the entire thickness of the floor and subfloor. Use a regular thickness wax ring without a plastic horn and mount the toilet.

That should give you a leak free installation...

Next time make sure that the flange is raised to the new floor.

Cookie

Reaction score
I went through something similar to yours. I wish I had cut out the flooring near the flange, raised it, and fitted it in nice and even. It leaks to this day... and leaks, and leaks. :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Someone did a handyman repair. There is a flange, possibly a cast iron one, UNDERNEATH the blue one which is where the bolts are attached. You CANNOT remove them, to install the necessary longer ones, until you pull the blue flange off. Hopefully, they could not glue it and just stuck it in place useing the toilet to hold it down, otherwise you have to very carefully cut it out. THEN, you can install the proper length bolts, and possibly stacked spaces with a sealant between them and secured by nuts and washers on top of the stack.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks