Help opening well

Users who are viewing this thread

Sarah B.

Reaction score
I need to shock my well with chlorine, but I can't figure out how to open it to pour the solution in. I would rather not pay someone $350 to come out and do this, so please, any help would be SO appreciated. Here are a couple of pictures of what I have. Thank you!
IMG_20161103_144623.jpg
IMG_20161103_144628 (1).jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I need to shock my well with chlorine, but I can't figure out how to open it to pour the solution in.
I am not a pro.

Don't undo those nuts.

At about the 4 o'clock position there is an air vent. If you can unscrew that, that lets you in. That might be a 1/2 inch NPT thread, which means the hole is bigger. I don't know if there is a hex head under the round thing or what.

What is the outside diameter of the PVC casing? 4.5 and 5.5 inch are common, and they would correspond to 4 inch and 5 inch ID.

If you get the vent off, do you use chlorine pellets, or do you use all liquid. If you have a 4 inch ID casing, you will use all liquid. I used to have a well seal roughly like yours, but I had the casing extended above ground and a pitless adapter installed. If you are trying to recirculate sanitizing water through the vent hole, you would need some kind of probe that goes through the hole. I had thought out something I was going to make for the job, but I decided to get the casing extended. Well seals leak, so that was my motivation.

The first line of https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ has a link to a nice sanitizing article, but then I go into my possibly-overkill extension. It may be largely adaptable to your well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks