help on venting a shower base

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Larry4, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Larry4

Larry4 New Member

I am installing a shower base on first floor with trap below in basement joist. How can you vent if there is no intersecting walls in the same joist line heading towards the soil line? The code states that you cannot run any vent horizonal until you are 6" above the flood level. Thanks for any input.

Larry
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Sometimes you are allowed vent horizontal below grade with waste fittings, that would be wyes and 45's.
    No Santees on the horizontal.
  3. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

You can run 6' with 2" pipe before you need to hit a vent.
  4. Larry4

Larry4 New Member

Thank you for your input. OK to make sure i understand. I have a fiberglass shower base. I am going to trap below the subloor in basement. About 1.5' down from trap im going to install a 2" wye with a street 45 angled above the centerline of waste pipe. From there im going to come back past the trap to back wall and up to roof for vent. Is this OK for vent since there are no cross walls on way to soil line?
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Sounds good to me.