Help! Not sure what's causing this

Users who are viewing this thread

clay2005

Reaction score
So in my upstairs bathroom I have a slow draining tub.. very slow.. (tried draino with no luck) no cold waterin the tub or sink.. and when u run the sink u hear bubbles in the tub.. not to mention I think it smells kinda yucky when water runs down the sink drain. I originally thought I had frozen pipes (Im in Pennsylvania and its freezing) but now Im not too sure because it warmed up to positive temps today and its still the same.. oh all the water downstairs works fine. What the heck is going on in my bathroom! !??? I need to know how I can fix this please!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Avoid Draino. Very caustic and seldom works. Most plumber will advise not to use any drain cleaning products, but I have found that when my tub starts draining slowly, the Liquid Plumber works pretty well. Problem seems to be build up of soap between the tub and main drain. Since drains do not normally contain water expect when actually draining, freezing is not a problem with drains. If the drain cleaner mentioned doesn't work, snaking would be the way to go.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF any drain chemical works, it will ONLY be until it opens a small enough hole so it can continue down the drain, leaving most of the stoppage intact, which is why they have to be reused frequently. There should ALWAYS be water in the trap, so it CAN freeze under the right conditions, but seldom does. A plumber with a mechanical drain cleaning device will restore the tub flow in a matter of minutes. NO water flow is a sign of freezing, usually, but may take more than a few hours of warmer weather to thaw it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks