Help, no water from new Delta multi valve

Users who are viewing this thread

waves22

Reaction score
Hello guys - new DIY here, I've learned a lot from you over the past few months and managed to install two toilets, two sinks and faucets (roughed in by plumber) with no problems. But now I'm stumped. My plumber installed a Delta multi valve (rough in) several months ago and I finally finished the tiling, was looking forward to a hot bath. The valve is the kind with the stops that can be turned with a screwdriver. I carefully followed the instructions for the trim kit and installed the cartridge etc. then turned on the main water supply and nothing happens when I turn the handle on new tub faucet. No water at all. I've taken it all apart, looked at it, shook the cartridge, put it back together again, still nothing. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to turn the screws on the stops to open the water? The only thing that looks odd to me is the handle is about 1/4 inch from the round cover sleeve, I guess it needs that space to turn freely? Plus, the handle only turns about 1/3 of the total distance, much less than my previous one. Any ideas? Thanks a lot

rp50366-stops.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Yes turn the screwdriver stops to the on position. Both of them. The faucet it pressure balanced....it must have water pressure to both inlets of the valve to allow water to flow.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some stops are 1/4-turn, some are multi-turn, so you need to know which type you have. If they are 1/4-turn, then the slot should line up with the pipes in and out.

As noted, both must be on for the valve to work.

All new shower valves have a means to limit how hot they get. The instructions should tell you how to adjust it. The 'proper' way to do it is with a thermometer...adjust the max hot to the highest you need that is safe. Keep in mind, though, that when the cold water warms up in the summer, it may be too hot. This is one reason why I like thermostatically controlled valves...they adjust themselves once initially setup. If you're not too worried about scalds, you could leave it quite hot. The pressure balance valve will prevent spikes, but can't limit the max hot with both supplies on.

waves22

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick help. I'm going to take the dog for a walk and get my courage up to open the stops. Funny the Delta website for the valve only says to turn counterclockwise to open, no mention of how far, 1/4 turn etc. I did follow the instructions and adjust the temperature limit, put it half way thought that was a good starting point. I'll let you know if I have a working bath or not....

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There would have been a plug inside the valve when installed by the plumber. It gets removed at install of cartridge. Off hand, I don't think you can put the cartridge in without pulling the plug, so check the stops first. BOTH must be open, or the spool will stop the water.

rp50366-stem.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If they're not 1/4-turn stops...keep turning ccw until they stop moving. You could turn it back an 1/8-turn or so as sometimes, they're a pain after they've sat cranked against the stop for years. Except for long remodels at the beginning, the stops rarely ever get used again as you can do all maintenace from the front without removing the trim, so you often don't even know they're there down the road.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
They are compression stops with a washer that snaps on the end. They are basically brasscraft stops with the stem hacked off and a screwdriver slot milled into it. Delta doesn't make 1/4 turn integral stops.

waves22

Reaction score
Works!

Thanks everyone, turned the screws open and it all works fine. Hot bath in my beautiful deep tub tonight! (Well, not too hot since the valve won't allow that even at the maximum hot setting)

It is very handy to adjust the screws without running to the basement to turn the water on and off. Found it worked best with the screws turned a few times, but I didn't have the courage to open them fully. Water flow seems good.

Now I just have to learn how to solder the adapter for the tub spout, think I'll live with the bare copper pipe, give the DIY a rest for a while. Sure is wonderful to have all this help online.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks