Help, no hot water during bathroom remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Michelle89

Reaction score
I am going through a bathroom remodel and the contractor just left for the night. He placed a new valve in today but only to the point of testing the water so there is no cartridge. I just noticed now that the sink in the same bathroom has only cold water. The shower in the other bathroom has only cold water. The sink in the other bathroom and kitchen will get luke warm. Could this be because of cross connection since the hot and cold water are being allowed to mix in the valve since there is no cartridge in yet? Thanks in advance for any information.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am going through a bathroom remodel and the contractor just left for the night. He placed a new valve in today but only to the point of testing the water so there is no cartridge. I just noticed now that the sink in the same bathroom has only cold water. The shower in the other bathroom has only cold water. The sink in the other bathroom and kitchen will get luke warm. Could this be because of cross connection since the hot and cold water are being allowed to mix in the valve since there is no cartridge in yet? Thanks in advance for any information.

Yes, you are correct.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, you could cut the hot water pipe to the valve and pop two Sharkbite caps on the ends. But watch out, those two caps look just like a Sharkbite coupling if they're close together. Then you'll ask yourself: did I put that Sharkbite coupling on there? I don't remember. Then someone will ask: why didn't you put the little pluggy thing in there to stop the crossflow? I could go on, but I'm ready to move on. Check the post "Humiliation Sucks" which is not far down the listings.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Two options...install the cartridge, or, depending on the brand, it may either have come with, or has an optional plug you can insert to prevent that cross-over problem until the cartridge is installed. If the valve has in-line shutoffs, close one or both of them. If you'll have an access panel on the back of the wall, you could cut in shutoffs, but otherwise, picking up the plug for your valve body is probably easier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks