Help Needed With Installing Closet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

NickGriffith

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to install this closet flange:
1.jpg

There is a 90 degree elbow just below the concrete so my flange bottoms out when I try to push it down into the drain pipe:
16.jpg

The outer layer of the 2 visible PVC layers above the 90 is a coupler.

Can I trim a couple inches from the bottom of the flange?
Is there anything I can do besides breaking up the concrete? There's only about 3/4" of the stub above the concrete.
In addition, the concrete is "mounded up" a bit around the stub and not level. How can I level this out so my flange sits flat on the concrete?
Here are some more photos:
5.jpg

10.jpg

Thanks all!

NickGriffith

Reaction score
I see there are no replies yet, but how does this sound?

Should I cut the stub flush with the floor and install one of these:

yhst-11353365108554_2106_1650769139.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are you putting any finish surface on the floor? Keep in mind that the flange goes on TOP of the FINISHED floor. If, for example, you were going to add some tile, you'd take up most of that space. if you are adding tile, notch the tile where the fasteners go so you don't then have to try to drill through it. Your wetsaw has a diamond blade, and it make take that to drill through the tile as well. Also, most plumbers do NOT like to use an all plastic flange...it just isn't all that strong considering it will be holding the toilet in place via the bolts. They prefer one that has a SS ring on the plastic flange (not the painted steel version that can eventually rust out).

As to the hump in the concrete, a diamond cup wheel on a grinder would make quick work of that small area. It will be very dusty, so have eye and ear protection, a vac running, and close off the area, or you'll be picking up concrete dust around the house for the next month.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks