Help needed!PLEASE!

Users who are viewing this thread

destiny01

Reaction score
We are in the middle of remodeling our bathroom,tearing all the walls out but my question is after we are finished all of that and removed toilet,tub,etc.what is next? :confused: Do we insall new tub,toilet then put up walls and electrical stuff or walls before tub and toilet installation?My husband really doesn't know and he will have help but I want to make sure he does it all right so we have fewer opps! ;) I wish I could find a step by step on what to do in what order.I get headaches just thinking about everything.If anyone can help me out,Thanks! :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
remodel

The headaches, and scheduling problems are why homeowners use general contractors or specialty contractors to do it. Without them, many marriages do not survive a major remodel.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Once you're down to the stud walls, remove the old tub and replace it with the new hooking up the waste, overflow and trap as well as the new tub/shower faucet. In addition, any other plumbing work within the walls as well as any other type of item (electric) also in the walls can be done at this time. Install the drywall, cement board, wall tile, etc. then the flooring then paint. After that install the vanity and the toilet.

I'm sure there are other ways of doing things, but this process works for me.

Good luck

destiny01

Reaction score
Thanks guys! :) hj-unfortunately we don't have the option to hire anyone and i've heard that even that way can be just as much of a headache!LOL!Hopefully we will make it through,we've definately made it through harder things. ;)
RioHyde-Thanks again for the help,I had my husband look at this and hopefully this weekend he can get started,who knows just how much will be accomplished but at least a start.

TheZster

Reaction score
He's right... though from the sounds of it, you're possibly not sure what he said.....

Go to Home Depot... buy a 14 dollar book on remodeling bathrooms.... they're very simple, very thorough, and easy to follow..... You're tackling a big project ... but it's not as hard as it initially sounds... Good Luck

Oh yeah..... tear everything out.... replace the tub.... then the walls, floors, then cabinets, sinks, and toilet last of all.....

destiny01

Reaction score
Thanks thezster!Sorry,I must have misunderstood,I thought a general contracter was someone you had to hire to do the work for you :eek: .I'm not very good with all this stuff. That is why I am only helping to tear down everything,that I can do! :) My husband is going to have someone with more experience ,has done a bathroom before help but like my husband always tells me I like to second guess everything and make sure it is going to be getting done the right way.He does also like getting other peoples opinions too.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I second the suggestion that you get a good book, but you must also realize that these how-to books can't cover everything and you sometimes have to be creative and still stay within codes. I have found that the "Box Stores" often have a few very knowledgable and helpful people in their plumbing and electrical departments. The trick is to separate them from the rest of the salesmen. I think a fairly good rule of thumb on remodeling is to keep in mind you are building from inside the walls, floor, and ceiling to the outside.

Sulconst2

Reaction score
i think it takes more than a "book" to remodel a bathroom from start to finish. you have to be skilled in plumbing, electric, framing, spackling, tile and finish work. without hiring pro's in each area you need to be a skilled craftsman or it will show in the finished product.
from a remodelers standpoint, kitchens and baths require the most skill by far than other remodeling projects.

TheZster

Reaction score
sulconst2 said:
i think it takes more than a "book" to remodel a bathroom from start to finish. you have to be skilled in plumbing, electric, framing, spackling, tile and finish work. without hiring pro's in each area you need to be a skilled craftsman or it will show in the finished product.
from a remodelers standpoint, kitchens and baths require the most skill by far than other remodeling projects.

Can't agree more... I guess I take it for granted that everyone has these basic skills.......... and after thinking about it... should know better! The "book" is a great resource.... on top of experience...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks