Help... Need to use Sewage Ejector Pump... What do I Need to Know?

Users who are viewing this thread

FLHomeOwener

Reaction score
Hi all,

We're doing a bedroom/bath addition on to our ranch style home.

We started this back in November and had all the rough in plumbing done at that time. Now, everything is almost done.

A few weeks ago, the plumber came to connect the sewage and stopped digging. Apparently, there are some huge roots that are in the way. The roots are from a big Oak tree that is in my neighbors yard (about 12 feet away from our addition).

I measured the tree and it's diameter is about 9 FT. I believe the code calls for us to stay 20 feet away from protected trees.

I wanted to explore all options so I had another plumber check it out and he said that he could cut the roots, however, I am hesitant to do any more harm to this tree. I really don't want to be fined or damage the tree and get in trouble later. Being that the work will be inspected, I was surprised that the 2nd plumber would say this... He said that the city expects you to cut some roots since you have a permit.

The original plumber wants to use a Sewage Ejector Pump and link to the sewage by going complete around my house. We do not have much slope to work with. They said the pump will be buried..

I am wondering....

- Has anyone used these before?
- Can you hear the pump working? I don't want to be sitting in the back yard and hear it pumping.
- What problems or drawbacks should I be aware of?

Thank you for all your help!

FLHomeOwener

Reaction score
As an extra note, I have the electrician coming by tonight to make sure we have the panel space for the pump. We didn't have many slots open when we started...

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
The sewage tank will be buried, but you still need access to the pump (cover on top of the tank).They are ususally in the basement and piped out and to the sewer line.

https://terrylove.com/sewage_ejector.htm

You need 32 gallons per minute min. to push waste. The problem with that is the farther away it's being pumped to (around the house) the larger the pump and inturn the larger the pipe.
Now the pump will only come on when there is enough waste and grey water to turn on the float switch which will turn on the pump, but depending on the size of the tank may be a long time.
Depending on the size of the pump and pipe i would think if your near it you will hear it, but if your in the back yard i wouldn't think you would.

Last edited by a moderator:

FLHomeOwener

Reaction score
Thanks Peanut.

Well, the addition is in the back of the home and this is where they will most likely have to bury the pump. Essentially, it will be in our backyard.

Here's a very crude drawing in MS Paint.

The red line represents how they will most likely run the sewage. It would be so much easier to run the sewage to the left of the stub-out but we have problems with tree roots and possible slope. The circle with the "S" indicates where the sewage comes out for the orginal house.

Will we hear the pump while in our room? What about while in our back yard? What other drawback should I know of? Am I right in not wanting to cut the roots?

3c8aabc882.bmp

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Not sure about the code, but with trees you always run the risk of the roots breaking through the drain pipe. Then you would have to dig up and redo and it might keep happening.
I wouldn't worry about the noise unless someone is using the bathroom inside when your outside and it happens to be enough liquid to start the float switch.
Plus the pump is in liquid so that will also insulate it.
The only thing i would worry about is the length of the run of pipe and any elbow, this is important when sizing the pump and pipe size.
You want to make sure it is strong enough or you may have problems with blockage.

FLHomeOwener

Reaction score
Thanks Peanut.

I have an Arborist coming over tonight to take a look at the roots and to see our options. If I don't have the OK from him to prune the roots, then it looks like we're going with the pump (diagram above).

That probably has to be about 100 feet, i'll have to measure it tonight. How big of a pump will I need? If I remember correctly, the area is pretty flat.

I think they mentioned the Little Giant Pump (4/10 HP)...

When I talk to the plumber again, I'd like to have an idea of what I am talking about...

Thanks!

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
FLHomeOwener said:
We're doing a bedroom/bath addition ...

I think they mentioned the Little Giant Pump (4/10 HP)...

When I talk to the plumber again, I'd like to have an idea of what I am talking about...

You are going to need a "big giant" pump to handle sewage, and especially if you end up going all the way around the house. And, that pump should be in an accumulation tank large enough so that the pump might only run once per day rather than every time you flush the toilet, wash your hands or brush your teeth. And personally, somebody would have an awful lot of convincing to do before I would go to all the expense and maintenance of that kind of work-around system even for a tree of my very own.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
I'd strongly suggest letting gravity handle your sewage, or you will find that you'll be handling your sewage more than most.

If the roots mustn't be disturbed, proposition your neighbor for some $'s for the pump and pit, and some $$$'s for the future repairs.

FLHomeOwener

Reaction score
I asked about the tree at the beginning when I first applied for the building permit. I even paid extra for a site inspection (not required for additions) so they could come and check the tree. Everything was OK'd.

I wanted to have all bases covered. I didn't run into this tree problem until the plumber came to dig the sewage..

Anyway, I have an Arborist looking into it for me to see what our options are with this. Hopefully, the news will be good... I'll know in a few days... :confused:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks