Help! Need advice on water softener system!

Users who are viewing this thread

Bananaboyandy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum and need guidance. I am building a house and want to install a water softener system. We currently reside in the same area we are moving to and the water is horrible...it leaves mineral deposits on everything and a red ring in the toilets. Once we move in we are going to hire a plumber to install a water softener. I need some help in picking out what to get. I'm unsure if the ones in big box stores (Sears, HD, Lowes, etc) are even worth considering or going right to others (ie Fleck). I want to be able to get parts if necessary and have a plumber install them if needed in the future. I don't want a system where I have to call the company out and they get me for a few hundred bucks for the service call and expensive parts.

Here are the specs:

House size is 3,500 sq feet, 4 adults will live in home and there are 2 1/2 baths (no Jacuzzi or anything like that). 3 of the 4 are females that like their showers so do not want to install anything that will impede water pressure

Water Hardness: 15 gr/gallon

Iron: < .2 mg/l

pH: 7.8

Sodium: 10 mg/l

Please let me know if there is anything else that is needed. Thanks everyone!!

Reach4

Reaction score
Here is one thing you will find useful.
http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/softeners/sizingchart.htm

I am thinking that with <.2 mg of iron, I am a little surprised that the coloration in the toilet would be much. It's in the tank too, right? Iron Out is good for iron stains.

Read through some of the earlier threads, and some people will have some more info for you. Consensus is for separate resin tank and brine tank. I suspect you have read some of those.

Are you on your own well?

Reach4

Reaction score
As discussed in that Gary S link, you can get a bigger water softener and use more salt to deal with the iron, or you can have an iron filter followed by a smaller water softener using less salt. Somebody may have more specific advice.

I am surprised that city water would have visible iron discoloration. With a separate iron filter, you could use iron-filtered water for drinking while using softened water for other things.

http://www.macungie.pa.us/drinkingwater.htm shows similar numbers, but slightly higher iron than your test showed.

If it were me, I would include a single Big Blue filter housing while making other changes. It would be after the iron filter, but before everything else. I am not sure what filter element I would use, but you can always change. I would probably start with one micron, and only go bigger if that reduced flow much within 6 months. Maybe a Pentek DGD-2501-20 Dual Gradient Density Filter. That 4.5 by 20 inch is a filter size where you have a lot of choices. I put in 3 housings... probably overkill, but while doing pipe work, it was was easy enough, plus I am on my own well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks