HELP ME with this pipe size...

Users who are viewing this thread

TURBOSCHILZ

Reaction score
Hey fellas, I'm new to the site and have an issue that I could REALLY use some help with. I've recently purchased a home and it has an older sprinkler system, probably 80's I'm guessing. I've gotten the system into 100% working order, the only problem is that there are 3 lines that need repairs from getting whacked with a spade shovel or something, but I've cut out the small sections as I normally would, and normally I'd stick in a 3/4" male/male adapter with a couple hose clamps, at least that's what I've always done in the past. The problem is, the 3/4" adapters just don't fit properly, they're just a tiny bit loose, which is causing them to still leak a little, I've tried gluing them in with no luck, yet the pipe seems to be about the exact same size that you'd find in Home Depot (3/4"), is it a thin wall pipe or something? What is the best way to patch these up and have a long lasting repair that I won't have to worry about, of course short of replacing the entire lines?...lol Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you fellas....

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I asume you are talking about poly pipe. I have never seen a male/male barb fitting that could be inserted without first heating up the poly to expand it. Pipe is normaly spec'd by the ID, not the OD so the thickness of the wall should not be a factor.

Are you sure you are using the right barb fitting?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Welcome to Terry's Forums TURBOSCHILZ

If it is not poly pipe then it may be CPVC and would need the correct CPVC fittings.

The OD is a little smaller on the CPVC and many PVC adapters will not fit tight enough.

Good Luck on your project.

Have a great day.

DonL

TURBOSCHILZ

Reaction score
Oh alright, that is a definite probability then, is CPVC a common item, would finding peices for it be simple?... Otherwise, other than the minor size difference, it's black, you can tell that it came off a roll, just like what's in Home Depot, but once again, not a pro, so really have no clue...lol So should I be using like a butt type connector and gluing them together?...

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If it is not poly pipe then it may be CPVC and would need the correct CPVC fittings.

I don't use CPVC but my understanding is that it is normally joined with female/female couplers and glue, not hose clamps. In that case OD certainly is a factor.

TURBO,
What colour is the pipe? Is it rigid or flex?

OK, I just reread your reply above and it does sound like poly pipe. Poly pipe should be joined with male/male barb fittings and four hose clamps, two on each side each 180 degrees from the other. Are you sure you and using barb fittings made specifically for poly?

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I seriously doubt that the pipe is CPVC. CPVC is normally used inside the house. I've never heard of it used for irrigation purposes, but of course anything is possibe. Besides all of that, trying to connect ridge CPVC or PVC with clamps? I don't think so. The suggestion that you have poly pipe is almost certainly correct, and you're just not patching it right.

DonL

Reaction score
Around here they use CPVC everywhere, but mostly PVC for underground.

I would think that the connectors trying to be used are the wrong size or type.

Should be poly barb fittings ,and not garden hose repair couplers.

New ones should be easy to find.

DonL

TURBOSCHILZ

Reaction score
I am using poly barb fittings, they are the gray 3/4", but are just barely too small that the water leaks around them, they slide in and out quite easily, I've clamped them, I've tried gluing them, but no luck... I'm thinking I need like a 13/16" barb fitting, do they make such a thing?...

DonL

Reaction score
I believe the correct ones will be black, Grey are normally used for vinyl hoses.

But I guess they could be any color.

Like LLigetfa said they will be a tight fit.

DonL

P.S. About any size could be had, But ID is 3/4 for the correct one. Outside may be 13/16. Could also be metric.

Last edited:

TURBOSCHILZ

Reaction score
Ya I've repaired many of them in the past, and they're always a really tight fit, I've had to heat them up or pound them in with a hammer in the past...lol Not sure why they fit so loosely on these pipes, the pipes have to be some weird off size, it's driving me crazy...lol Like I said, I'm thinking that the OD is the same, but I think that they have a thinner wall to them which is giving them a larger ID, that's why my barbs aren't fitting it... At least that's what I think is going on...lol

DonL

Reaction score
I would take a piece of the pipe to the local hardware store and let them fix you up.

Nowadays things are metric and there is no direct conversion, that matches perfect.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Have a great day.

DonL

DonL

Reaction score
10-4 hj.

Simple fix to use the proper connections, for the proper type pipe.

DonL

TURBOSCHILZ

Reaction score
I took in a chunk to the hardware store, no luck as of yet... Even though it appears to be standard 3/4" poly, it obviously is not... We took some calipers to it, standard 3/4" came in at JUST under 1" OD, this guy came it at just over 1" OD... Pretty frickin weird...lol Anyone ever heard of a 13/16" barb fitting?...lol Any other ideas?...

TURBOSCHILZ

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Don, I've been looking thru it, but have yet to find anything out of the ordinary, but will keep looking... Thanks again for all your help...

TURBOSCHILZ

Reaction score
Originally I hard purchased a 3/4" and 1" barb fitting, but of course the 1" was way too big, the pipe could probably fit thru the middle of it...lol The size difference is VERY minor, but it is enough to cause a slight leak around the 3/4" barb... Thanks for all the help Don, you do the same...

DonL

Reaction score
If you have a heat gun Turbo, then you can heat the pipe and then clamp it down, and be done with the parts that you have.

Good Luck.

DonL

jim pipe

Reaction score
If you have a heat gun Turbo, then you can heat the pipe and then clamp it down, and be done with the parts that you have.

Good Luck.

DonL
Welcome to Terry's Forums TURBOSCHILZ

The OD is a little smaller on the CPVC and many PVC adapters will not fit tight enough.

Good Luck on your project.

Have a great day.

DonL

I have the same problem. I can’t identify the pipe to select fitting. 3/4 barb doesn’t contact inside of pipe, but 1 inch will require heating and expanding pipe by 3/16”. I’m concerned that will damage pipe integrity. Previous owner used black cement (abs?) to connect to pvc 40 (see blue primer on 40 side) but was able to pull out grey tube after trying to force barbed adapter into damaged piece to test. Light grey pipe says 3/4” MC PVCT schedule A. I’m sure it’s not best product, but can’t replace without busting concrete.

Attachments

• 43CAC86E-F5B9-4B15-ACE6-26DADB8490BF.jpeg
    43CAC86E-F5B9-4B15-ACE6-26DADB8490BF.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 166
  • C472AF73-7621-4465-A2C9-ADD284F41B82.jpeg
    C472AF73-7621-4465-A2C9-ADD284F41B82.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 166
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks