Help me with my Toto Ultramax

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by mumstead, Sep 19, 2004.

1. mumstead

mumstead New Member

I installed an Ultramax about 2 months ago. It replaced a cheap low flow that required occasional plunging. My Ultramax worked fine for about 2 weeks. Since then it has been flushing without much force. It appears that the toilet needs to be plunged but I can't find a plunger that will fit the Ultramax. The Ultramax has such a large oblong bottom (where the waste exits) no plunger can seal it and get a forcefull plunge. The force of the plunge just exits out into the toilet bowl and is totally ineffective. I am getting very frustrated with this and I am about to replace the Ultramax with an inexpensive toilet like I had. At least with it I could plunge it if I had problems.

Thanks,
    Mark
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Lift the tank cover and check out the chain that pulls up the flapper valve. Make sure it is not kinked or the clip didn't come undone. Also, try holding the lever down. The flapper valve needs to come up the design amount to allow it to stay open long enough to get the 1.6 gallons - i.e., have enough force to do its job. If for some reason that is not happening, it won't flush well. Also, make sure that the water is filling to the proper height. If it does not, then there is not enough head pressure to make it work properly. It should be (about?) 1/2" from the overflow tube, I think. You could have some debris in the fill valve that is affecting the fill, and therefore the water level, too.
  3. mumstead

mumstead New Member

Thank You, I tried all that you said and everything looked fine. Could there be somthing wrong with the "G-Max" part in the tank? I tried using a toilet auger yesterday and it seemed to make things worse. My tiolet is now flushing with almost no force and we need to flush 2 -3 times. I think I may remove and reinstall the tiolet tonightto see what the problem could be. :mad: :(
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

For an plugged toilet, I would grab a five gallon bucket filled with water and pour it right into the bowl of the toilet. This is one of the easiest ways to move a blockage.

If you want to use a plunger on it, there are several on the market that have a "pull out" small end that will work just fine.
    The best method, is to use short quick strokes to get the water vibrating, then to quickly pull the plunger out.
    Most of the time, that is when the water will "whoosh" out of the bowl.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  5. mumstead

mumstead New Member

Thanks Terry, I tried the 5 gallon bucket method about 4 times tonight and it flushes slightly better but still very poor. I have tried 4 different plungers and plunged about 100 times but that has not helped at all. Since I installed this toilet myself I have to beleive that the problem is with the installation or the toilet is defective/broken.