Help Me Understand

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jamjar, Mar 10, 2008.

1. jamjar

jamjar New Member

Hello, and thank you in advance for your advice. I would like the drain in my tub to be replaced. Just the beauty ring? and the part you see down to the cross piece. Can this be done? Is is that complicated? My husband is not sure how to do this, I told him I would find out!! Ok, you can lol now, but I will take your advice!! Thank you:D
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I don't know if those are generic. They make a spud wrench to fit over the cross-bars and unscrew it. You're less likely to break them off if you use one, but still no guarantees. The gasket should probably be replaced at the same time and put some plumber's putty under the new piece (unless it is a fiberglass tub). It might require a new drain...
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

[​IMG]

It can be a can of worms that may lead to replacing the waste & overflow. Use a Dumbell Wrench to try unscewing it first and hope it works.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2008
  4. jamjar

jamjar New Member

THANK YOU:D:D
  5. jamjar

jamjar New Member

THANK YOU:D:D:D
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Dumbell wrench

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2008
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

The trim ring may unscrew easily, or it could require that it be cut out. There is no way to tell until you try it. If it needs to be cut out and you persist in trying to unscrew it, you will probably snap the pipe under the tub and have a major repair job on your hands.
  8. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

http://www.watcomfg.com/WATCO/Downloads/WatcoPriceGuide.pdf

See the QuickTrim kits on page 17, and the NuFit kits on page 18. These allow a quick and easy update of tub trim without getting into possible difficulties. They just snap in, or glue in, to the existing shoe. I have a NuFit on my own tub, over a year now, and it is fine.