Help me select a toilet for 14" rough-in please

Users who are viewing this thread

Half Pint

Reaction score
We have decided not to spend the money for a TOTO Vespin II for our basement bath. By the time we pay for installation and moving our water supply, it is just too pricy. My other options I am considering is American Standard Cadet Pro Compact Right Height (215fc.104020) for 14" rough-in OR Kohler Highline K-3949. Both fix the 14" rough-in and are the 16 1/2" height. I can live with length of either but it is a narrow bath so the Cadet PRO Compact is best fit. One thing, the water supply is 5" left of center. The Cadet recommends 6" but would 5" work? I can't tell if one is a much better functioning choice than another. Can you advise please?

Last edited:

JMac

Reaction score
Just because you have a 14" rough-in doesn't mean you have to use a 14" toilet... a 12" will work too; just stick out from the wall a little bit more is all.

Half Pint

Reaction score
Just because you have a 14" rough-in doesn't mean you have to use a 14" toilet... a 12" will work too; just stick out from the wall a little bit more is all.
yes, I know but I don't like the extra 2" sticking out (so shoot me I am a woman!).

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The extra 2" would not stick out in front, it would be an extra 2" between the tank and the wall. I think you're confusing an elongated toilet with a round front.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
yes, I know but I don't like the extra 2" sticking out (so shoot me I am a woman!).

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.

Let's review, because you're about to come to tears.

If you install the Toto toilet that was "too pricey", you will end up with a normal-size toilet pulled 2" closer to the wall than would otherwise be the case on a 14" rough-in. It will look as if you have a normal toilet on a 12" rough-in.

The other toilets you are talking about don't do this. They put what is in essence a 12" rough-in bowl on a 14" rough-in, and it protrudes into the room just exactly the same as if you put a 12" rough-in toilet there. Then, they have a big 2" gap behind the toilet to deal with, so they give you a bigger tank or otherwise adjust the location of the tank so that it fills that bigger gap better. That's all they do. They don't move the location of the outlet on the bowl forward two inches, so it goes in exactly the same place as a 12" rough-in toilet does, and protrudes into the room exactly as much as a 12" toilet would. ALL THEY DO IS FILL THE BIGGER GAP BEHIND THE TOILET. THEY DO NOTHING TO AFFECT WHERE THE FRONT OF THE TOILET IS LOCATED. And don't let anybody in an apron at Home Depot tell you any different. If they do so, they are LYING.

The Toto with the Unifit compensates for the fact that you have a rough-in that's two inches further into the room, by pulling the whole toilet two inches closer to the wall. NONE OF THE OTHER TOILETS YOU ARE CONSIDERING DO THAT.

To put a finer point on it, the A/S spec sheet for the 12" and 14" rough-in versions of that toilet show that the dimensions of the two bowls are IDENTICAL, and the outflow hole is in EXACTLY the same place on both. The spec sheet just shows one of them being set 1-1/4" further from the wall, which is essentially a lie. It will sit TWO inches further from the wall. The 14" tank is almost an inch deeper than the 12" tank, and the gap between it and the wall is bigger than on the 12". That's it.

ONLY the Toto gives you the ability to take a toilet of the same dimensions and mount it so the front and back of it sit the same distance from the wall as they would on a 12" rough in.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, as I understand it, some of the Caromas use a swivel that lets you adjust where the toilet sits in relation to the wall. Those work, but may be best left to people who have a digestive problem with long, hard stools as they have about the biggest trapway of any available toilet. Some people can't screw in a light bulb, but, installing a toilet, even one with the UniFIt adapter isn't really all that hard to do yourself. Depending on the water supply valve, you may be able to get buy with just replacing the valve with a right-angle one. Course, you know your own skill level, and shouldn't attack something you have none of the tools for or are not comfortable with, but in the scheme of things, they are not hard to install. Heavy, but not technically hard.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks