Help me identify this anglestop valve

Users who are viewing this thread

vivix

Reaction score
We're finally getting round to installing our new toto drake and the fountain of wisdom on this board recommends replacing the supply line and the shut off valve. I've read that we also need brass closet bolts. I need help with the following:
1. what type and size of shut off valve we currently have? (See attached photo)
I only have access to home depot and lowes, A. what replacement shut off valve should I get from there. I'm confused by all the options?
B. What braided steel or not supply line should I get?
C. What wax ring? A simple one or one with sleeves/horn?
D. What size of closet bolts?
E. Home depot only has the locticite polyseamseal in bulk. What good alternative to that does HD carry?
Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 353

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro....

A. Your picture is not clear. It may be a compression connection. You want a quarter turn ball valve for the replacement. They are more reliable than the multi-turn.

B. See third picture of https://terrylove.com/forums/index....g-one-piece-toilet-review-and-pictures.56203/ for a good example.

C. Depends on what you have going on under the toilet. A waxless choice may be better for the inexperienced if the clearance is right. With wax it is important to not lift after you set down the toilet. You want to use shims, and that would take some technique to avoid de-compressing wax.

D. Diameter not so important probably, but brass is preferred over plated steel or plastic.

E. Dap Dynaflex clear looks like a good candidate. Latex. Others may have experience with others, and offer a better choice.

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
B. What braided steel or not supply line should I get?

Measure it to see. It is hard to measure from here. To long is better than to short.

I would clean the stem and apply a little lube, Before turning it off. Or it could leak.

Good Luck.

vivix

Reaction score
Thanks. The current line is 12" but there are so many variations at HD and Lowes, hence my confusion.
I've attached a second pic. Hopefully, it's clearer than the first

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 357

Reach4

Reaction score
Sure looks like compression type for the connection to the wall. You would likely need a compression sleeve puller to get the old ferrule off. Then you can replace the escutcheon too.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
That is a POS valve.

I would not jack with the valve, unless you just have to, or it is leaking.

I would just clean it up and get a new 3/8 inch braided line if you need a longer one.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It looks like a standard compression shutoff.
5/8" OD copper at the wall and 3/8" compression for the supply.
Depending on bowl height, you may need as long as 16".
Or you can pick up a couple sizes and return the one you don't use. Most of the time, standard 2-1/4" closet bolts, and two wax rings if the closet flange is lower than the finished flooring.

brasscraft-shutoff.jpg

sleeve_puller_3.jpg

Last edited:

vivix

Reaction score
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Finding a braided stainless steel supply line for pick up at my local HD or Lowes has been like pulling teeth. They have more PVC than stainless steel.

I am skeptical-- skeptical that you cannot find a braided stainless supply line at each of those stores.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Lowes has Fluidmaster Braided Stainless.

Braided polymer is not the same as stainless, but Brasscraft is a reputable brand.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
The valve at Home Depot or Lowes is a "1/4 turn" unit with plastic internals - the "budget" version of a 1/4-turn ball valve. Look for a Brasscraft "KT" series or a Dahl valve; you can buy the Brasscraft at The Big River.com.

Flapper

Reaction score
Home Depot sells both braided stainless steel and braided polymer.
The stainless steel ones are made in china and the polymer ones are made in USA.
Stainless steel is a little better but made in USA is a lot better so get the braided polymer.

Lowe's sells braided stainless steel and PVC.
The PVC is alright, use it if that's all you can find.

vivix

Reaction score
Thanks for all suggestions. The toilet has been installed and launched. We reinstalled the kohler toilet seat we used with the Sam's club toilet. The kids love their new toilet and so do I. I've attached pictures. Please let me know if everything is as it should be. 34750[/ATTACH] 34751[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 336
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 349
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks