Help me ID my softener please?

Users who are viewing this thread

jeffs88

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to the forum and I need some help identifying my water softener.

It has no tags or labels or numbers on it at all. I'd like to find out what kind it is so I can locate a manual and learn how to set the regeneration cycles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.......

Attachments

• 20150708_170535.jpg
    20150708_170535.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 354
  • 20150708_170652.jpg
    20150708_170652.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 275

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
It is obviously an older Fleck valve, please post a picture of the valve behind the timer.

Also, open the timer door, on the back will be a manufacturing date, any guesses? I am gonna say 1981

Probably a 2500 valve.

Time to upgrade.

Items of interest, the red/black microswitches, the white brine cam, the individually wired switches, the older timer (3000?, I forget),

Last edited:

jeffs88

Reaction score
You are awesome, Thanks for the super quick help. Here is a pic of the valve and you were very close......1979. I'm sure I need to upgrade but thats not in the cards at the moment. I just want to make sure this one is set up properly until I can afford a new one........

Attachments

• 20150708_224312.jpg
    20150708_224312.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 275
  • 20150708_224501.jpg
    20150708_224501.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 251

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Now the valve at any time can be rebuilt with the piston and seal pack from the 2510 of today.
The injector body and be replaced if needed, the seals for it top and bottom are the same today as then.
The drive motor most likely has any number of years left before it needs to be replaced.
The only thing that is kind of out of date is the timer assembly which can be replaced with the newer 3200 assembly, either new or used as some show up from time to time, when it is replaced with the up grade it would be best to change the wire harness as there are some changes for the micro switches.
The resin can be replaced and if one looks around one can find the meter assembly for the 2500 and turned into a metered unit.

What is this need to put stuff into the land fill because it is over 15 years old?

jeffs88

Reaction score
All great stuff, thanks for the info. Does anyone have access to an operators manual so I can learn how to program all the settings?

ditttohead

Reaction score
LOL over 15 years old? Try over 35 years old.

The Fleck product line for the most part is very well built and can be rebuilt for many more years of service. The valve can be modified to a metered version but this is not recommended as the conversion would cost far more than a replacement valve. Have you ever replaced the resin inside the tank?

I noticed the timer has no brine setting... is the brine valve always pushed in on your unit in the service position? The brine valve is the grey piston on the left side of the timer large piston drive motor. It is pushed or released by the white cam.

If this is the case, then your float assembly in the brine tank controls the amount of salt the system uses per regeneration.

Last edited:

jeffs88

Reaction score
The system is installed and operational in my home. It was installed about 5 years ago by someone who's not around anymore. I've just been adding salt every month for a few years now. I just need need some instructions now so I can learn how to clean, maintain, and work the controls so I can make sure it is set up correctly. The pictures of the 1500 and 2500 series don't quite match. Are the operations the same?

jeffs88

Reaction score
PS. I have from time to time forgot to do the salt before it completely ran out, I don't even know how to force a regen if I needed to........

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Drop a pm with an email as I do have a pdf of the 3000 timer that your using.

ditttohead

Reaction score
upload_2015-7-13_8-7-25.png

I believe the 3000 timer was replaced in the late 80's with the 3200. Both timers are very good and should last for many decades of use.

Santiago Grado

Reaction score
Hi, I am also new to this forum. About 10 years ago, I had a water softener installed in my house and now I am having a lot of problems with it. I have googled it to see if I can get the manual so I can try to troubleshoot it and re-program it, but no luck. The model is a Cole & Massey QMX45. It has a separate brine tank. Could really use some help and a manual. Thank you.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Hi, I am also new to this forum. About 10 years ago, I had a water softener installed in my house and now I am having a lot of problems with it. I have googled it to see if I can get the manual so I can try to troubleshoot it and re-program it, but no luck. The model is a Cole & Massey QMX45. It has a separate brine tank. Could really use some help and a manual. Thank you.
See if this thread helps: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-program-cole-and-massey.36991/
Or this URL: http://www.ayers-associates.com/products/colemassey.html

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks