Help me convince my landlord there IS a problem with our shower.

Users who are viewing this thread

greenteamochi

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have lived in a basement apartment for a year and one month now. My landlord and his family live above us. When we moved in, there were no problems with the washroom.

A year later, all of a sudden, we have our shower going hot and cold on us. It seems to waver from the temperature we set it at (usually it runs colder), sometimes. It also happens when they are not awake, so I don't think it's particularly an issue of them running water the same time as us, although I think that is happening too. This problem happened simultaneously when the water pressure in our (washroom) sink going to almost nothing. Also, sometimes when we turn on the cold water in washroom sink we get scalding hot water, especially during flushing.

Because of the randomality of the issue, I can't get the shower to do its thing when the landlord is looking at it and he is refusing to have anyone come look at it because he says "his does it too". The issue is this: We didn't have any problems for a year. Why would we be having them now? Do the sink pressure and shower temperature problems have something to do with each other?

I am really frustrated with these problems and my landlord's attitude towards them. I don't think it's fair to have to deal with this issue as it was not this way when we moved in. Please help me.

Thanks so much in advance.

Update: Pressure in sink was fixed by new faucet with 2 handles, but hot water continues to go to scalding immediately.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Also, sometimes when we turn on the cold water we get scalding hot water, especially during flushing...
That suggests a blown diaphragm in the ant-scald pressure balance. If you cannot convince the landlord of that, you may have to get a plumber in to make the diagnosis.

Reactions: SHR

greenteamochi

Reaction score
Thanks for your very specific response Lligetfa. I am looking into it now. He's changing the sink faucet now but I'm not convinced that will solve any problems.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Search this forum for crossover anti-scald. They are often found on single handle controls for showers and tubs.

greenteamochi

Reaction score
Search this forum for crossover anti-scald. They are often found on single handle controls for showers and tubs.

Thanks so much. Wouldn't you know it is a single handle shower control, with one of those push/pull up tabs on the bottom. I'm not surprised its an issue with something called anti-scald. I get scalded alllll the time when the water goes so hot so fast.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You can play the "risk of scalding" card with the landlord as well.

If you post a pic of it with model specifics, someone here can verify if it is the diaphragm style that is prone to crossover.

Reach4

Reaction score
Also, sometimes when we turn on the cold water in washroom sink we get scalding hot water, especially during flushing.
Does the scalding hot water come out of the cold tap that you turned on, or elsewhere?

greenteamochi

Reaction score
Hmmm well, I don't see a brand name on it. I don't think the landlord has the box info anymore either, since we have very limited storage. Here is a picture though in case anyone recognizes it. I live in Ontario, Canada btw.

You can play the "risk of scalding" card with the landlord as well.

If you post a pic of it with model specifics, someone here can verify if it is the diaphragm style that is prone to crossover.

Attachments

• Shower.jpg
    Shower.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 256

greenteamochi

Reaction score
Does the scalding hot water come out of the cold tap that you turned on, or elsewhere?

Hi Reach4, thanks for your reply. The kitchen faucet also scalds, I'm not even sure it has a warm setting I just always have to turn the cold on with it to not scald myself. It has come out of the cold tap too in the washroom, especially while flushing the toilet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a Delta Monitor valve so it does have an integrated anti scald balancing unit. He has to replace the cartridge so it will work properly. It has nothing to do with the lavatory faucet.

Reactions: SHR

greenteamochi

Reaction score
There are two different cartridges and since they look quite similar, he has to take it to the supply house to match it with the new one.

Hi hj. Thanks for the advice. The shower doesn't go to scalding that often, I haven't had it occur very much lately at all. It's more of the colder side. Both the sinks scald though. I don't even think there is a warm setting goes straight to scalding.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If the pressure balance spool is bad in the shower control, it can put hot water into the cold water lines. This is called crossover. Then, when the sink taps are used, there is hot water were there should be cold.

greenteamochi

Reaction score
Makes sense. He put a new faucet in the washroom sink and it did fix the water pressure instantly, but the hot water still goes to scalding immediately. I'm going to record what happens in the shower from now on, and see if I can get him to catch it. He's not even interested in hearing what's wrong..... But thanks for all your help! Now I can offer some suggestions if I can get him to listen.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The pressure balancing feature ONLY works when there is an imbalance in the system so you cannot always "cause it" on demand. The important thing is that it happens SOMETIMES and that means it should be replaced.

greenteamochi

Reaction score
I am finding it hard to follow such a technical issue and offer any advice to my landlord. HJ, all "pressure" related issues seem to be fixed thus far. It's just the problems with the temperature in the shower and all the faucets washroom and kitchen have no degree of hot, only scalding out of the hot tap. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Earlier you said you were getting scalding hot water out of the cold tap.
Also, sometimes when we turn on the cold water in washroom sink we get scalding hot water, especially during flushing.
It is normal to get it from the hot tap. The temperature of the water is controlled at the water heater or through a tempering valve.

Despite what hj says, it is possible to have crossover with a bad anti-scald pressure balance spool but it is the diaphragm type that normally does that.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
you should ask him if any plumbing was done at the time u remember this started happening, sounds like someone made a cross connection somewhere. Ive seen one where someone connected there laundry supply to a laundry sink and had both hot and cold open

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
some old faucets will have a cross connection. I bet if u shut all valves to every fixture in the house except your shower, it wouldnt do that anymore. Then turn one on at a time till it does it again, and go from there

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks