Help Me Avoid Contaminating My Well

Users who are viewing this thread

jasvid

Reaction score
Hi,

I made a long post here - https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/need-some-help-with-system-design.65368/#post-485220 - and got some great help from Valveman in designing my well system. Now I need some help with the plumbing after the well seal, so rather than add on to my other post, I started a new topic.

This is a seasonal well and I will be hooking up a simple spigot near the well head and will use a hose to to fill a water tank and the pump will be powered by a generator. I will have a 1" hard nipple stubbed up from well seal.

In order to keep the pipe from freezing during cold weather, I was thinking I would drill a small hole (is 1/16 big enough"?) in my poly pipe about 8' below the well seal in order to let let water drain out after each use. But after reading a lot of past posts on this forum I realize there might be an issue with this - in order for that drain hole to work, I believe I need to open up the spigot (to release vaccum), but I don't want to contaminate my well by siphoning water back into the well from the spigot and possibly the hose.

Is there a solution to my issue or another way to skin the "seasonal well" cat without installing a pitless adapter (for variety of reasons, I won't be installing that at this point).

Thanks for any help/ideas!

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Drill two holes-one just under the well seal and one below that one. Top one is for vacuum releae, bottom is for draining. When the pump is running they will both leak a little. On plastic pipe (sch 80) I angle the hole so the spray is downward. Keeps from rusting the well seal out.

jasvid

Reaction score
Thanks Texas Wellman! That sounds like just the solution I was looking for. What size hole do you drill? I think (I could be wrong) that a hole too tiny won't drain...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks