HELP! Major price differences in remodel quotes

Users who are viewing this thread

intravenous

Reaction score
I've gotten very discrepant bids on my bath remodel, so I'm writing for advice.

This is a small (5 x 8) bathroom; everything will be updated (tub, toilet, sink, floor, window, fan, tile in tub area, wainscoting elsewhere). No structural changes. Probably the only thing semi-unusual is that I'll need a dedicated breaker for the tub (which will have the "hot soak" feature).

I will provide everything except basic construction materials and will have everything on site and ready to go. This is really a labor-only estimate. I'm in Sacramento.

I thank you in advance for your help. I know that illegals are driving prices crazy here in CA, but all my bids were from licensed folks, and still a huge discrepancy. What would be a fair labor range? ...I've already tried the online estimators...they're useless.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
This question is very tough to answer. Really there is not right answer. When I bid a job I even consider how long of a run it is to get to a HD or Blowes. I even consider such things like is there a place to dump my mud in the back yard. I even consider the quality of the neighborhood and the disposition of the owner.

Tom

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would ask them all for a list of the bathroom remodels they have done in the last 3-6 months... call the people and see what they say about the work that was done and if they were happy.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
question

How about only asking in one section so you get all the answers at once and we do not have to respond multiple times if we should decide to do so?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks