Help installing toilet flange

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by lordmoosh, Mar 31, 2013.

1. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The issue is the existing closet bend with the heel inlet. Getting rid of that and cutting in the wye is fine- as long as the sink is properly vented. If it is not vented, the sink's trap can get siphoned every time you flush the toilet.
  2. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

Ok, thanks!
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

So the advice of a working plumber is not good, but Jim the Retired Defense Industry Engineer's is.
    I can't tell you how many thousands of jobs I've had permitted and passed. :)
  4. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

Hi Terry,

Jim responded the fastest and has more posts than you. Clearly he must be at a higher level. :p
  5. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

I forgot to ask. I've read that there are cheap AAVs to avoid. What would be some brands/models that have a good track record?
  6. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

WHOA, Guys!! I read Jim's comment about the "toilet fitting" just to mean that you didn't want to keep running it into the heel inlet, not that he was saying that Terry's suggestion of a wye was wrong!! I don't think I have ever seen Jim purport to contradict Terry. In fact, he often passes on offering advice where it gets into codes and the technicalities of plumbing; indeed, he did that earlier in this very thread.
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

All I said was you don't really want it going into the existing heel input...is that wrong?
  8. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

You guys are being too serious. We were just JOKING. Jim is very helpful. :)

Can anyone recommend good brands/models of AAVs? Any brands/models to avoid?
  9. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The only one I have ever installed was an Oatey® Sure-Vent®.
  10. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

Hi all,

I just finally got time to start doing this (finally almost done spackling/painting the bathroom...). I bought a donut as suggested by Terry and all. It is a 4x3 donut. Here is the one I got: http://www.homedepot.com/p/100201710

The inner diameter of the cast iron hub is 3.75" and outer diameter about 4.5". The outer diameter of the donut is like 4.5". Did I purchase the wrong donut or am I missing something here? Thanks all. IMG_20130624_194821.jpg IMG_20130624_200337.jpg IMG_20130624_200346.jpg IMG_20130624_200428.jpg
  11. jadnashua

Measure the ID of the hub. Go to www.fernco.com and look up what you need.
  12. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

There is nothing on there website that I can find. I will try contacting them. Thanks.
  13. jadnashua

In looking at the picture...a donut will NOT work on this...it is NOT a hub! You need a reinforced connector to go from the CI to PVC. Essentially, you'd make connections as if it were the existing hubless CI, but need the connector to convert from the CI to PVC, which have different ODs. I think what you need is listed here http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/shielded-couplings/proflex-couplings model 3000-33.
  14. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

Thanks I was going crazy with the donut. What is this "tee" called, a "no-hub" or "no-hub tee"? Wouldn't I need model 3000-43 which would be from 4" cast iron to 3" plastic?
  15. jadnashua

Drainage pipe is spec'ed as INTERNAL diameter...if the OD is 3.75, the ID is likely 3".
  16. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

The inner diameter of the cast iron hub is 3.75"
  17. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

I did the plumbing today. The model 3000-43 was the correct item to use, it fit perfectly. One thing I'd like to ask you about. When I was measuring the pipe I had a 1/4" slope from the toilet elbow to the main stack. After I glued everything together I ended up with a 1/8" slope. It is about 1' between the toilet elbow and the main stack T. Do you think I should redo everything to get 1/4"? I poured water into the toilet drain and it went through without leaking.
  18. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You're fine.
    Done, wrapped up, good to go.
  19. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

Thank you all for your help!
  20. jadnashua

Yes, but he didn't have a hub, he has hubless CI, so the outlet of the Y is the same diameter as the rest of the pipe!