Help Installing New Dishwasher

Users who are viewing this thread

elisa73

Reaction score
We are a DIY couple in front of the newest dilemma: how to install our dishwasher when the trap under the sink is so short.

As is there is no room to insert the waste pipe (excuse my wrong terminology, I hope you understand my meaning) on the top side of the p-trap.

What do you usually do in such cases? Can you make the p-trap longer/lower so to make more room for the dishwasher?

If not, what would you do?

Thanks!
Elisa

ps. the dishwasher is on the right side of the sink

photo (4).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

elisa73

Reaction score
Thank you Sean,
We're going to HD tomorrow, but the question is will a dishwasher tailpiece fit in the little space we have to work with?

Do we need to lower the ptrap at all?

Thanks again,
Elisa

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can't lower the p-trap any more unless you change the fitting in the wall; otherwise, it would be trying to drain uphill, a recipe for disaster.

elisa73

Reaction score
Cacher_chick,
I think that's what we'll do. A new basket plus the dishwasher tailpiece.
Thanks!

elisa73

Reaction score
Thank you Smooky,

you guys (and chicks) here are the best!

How is the reversible j bend different than what's already there (is it the opposite)? Will it give us a little more room? Can it cause backflow?

Thanks again!!

Elisa

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Reversing the "J" bend creates a very "fragile" drain which will disconnect with the least amount of bumping. ANY sink strainer, other than plastic ones like you have will give you enough room above the trap for the new branch tailpiece.

ks_brasstech_short.jpg

elisa73

Reaction score
Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you!

We followed all of your advices (except the reversible J bend) and hubby got it done rather quickly. You guys rock! Elisa

photo (5).jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks