Help in validating plumbing configuration for a basement bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Kimeros

Reaction score
Gang, I need help with the basement bathroom configuration as per attached picture. I'm totally new to plumbing so I'd appreciate your help.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Are the venting coming form the sink and ejector pump to vent all fixtures properly? I have the impression that I need to vent the toilet separately. Or the fact that it's connected to the line going into the ejector and the ejector pump is vented is enough?

2. What's the minimum distance I have to keep between connections between point A and B, and B and C in the diagram?

2. In some examples, I see the drain line for the sink not being a vertical drop line (as depicted in my diagram), but a line going on the side through the studs and then dropping into a vertical pipe segment to the floor. Are both configs equivalent? In my case I can't use the latter due to the distance between sink and toilet.

As additional information on the diagram:

-Distance between (hole) centerlines: Toilet to shower is 41''. Toilet to Sink is 31''.
-All lines are 2'', except the one from the toilet to the ejector pump.
-The town inspector said its was ok to vent outside since we don;t have access to the inside venting stack.

Any other recommendation or suggestions are welcome!

Thank you for your time and guidance!

Plumbing_Diagram.jpg

Plumbing_Diagram.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You have the right general idea. The horizontal connections to the main line should be made using wyes. The shower trap needs to be vented before it's connection to the main line. There are details missing, such as location of cleanouts. The drawing does nothing to say that you will use the correct fitting at each connection or bend.

Kimeros

Reaction score
Thanks Cacher_chick for the quick response!

You mean cleanouts for the ejector drain/waste line, correct? as this one is the only one exposed.

Do you have any comments on my question below?

2. What's the minimum distance I have to keep between connections between point A and B, and B and C in the diagram?

3. In some examples, I see the drain line for the sink not being a vertical drop line (as depicted in my diagram), but a line going on the side through the studs and then dropping into a vertical pipe segment to the floor. Are both configs equivalent? In my case I can't use the latter due to the distance between sink and toilet.

Thank you for your time!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
As it is, your shower trap is not vented. The sink drain needs a cleanout. Depending on what is done with the shower drain & vent, I might have a clean out on it also.

The maximum allowed distance between each trap and it's vent is specified in the plumbing code that applicable where the home is located.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is NO regulations regarding the distance between A, B, and C. The sink CANNOT be installed exactly the way you show it. The shower needs its own vent. I would install cleanouts on the sink and shower drains, in the proper locations, just because they could get obstructed.

Kimeros

Reaction score
Cacher_chick, based on your valuable responses I've modified the diagram to look like this below. Please check it out one more time. I'm still puzzled about the location of a cleanout for the shower as all piping will be under the concrete. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The shower cleanout would go in the vertical vent pipe in the wall, once you figure out HOW to install it without that horizontal section under the floor, which is not permitted.

Kimeros

Reaction score
HJ, thanks for your feedback. You mean that horizontal line to the shower drain is a problem:

1-because it simply shouldn't be there by code, if so, how can I vent the shower?
2-because of the distance from the shower trap to the point of connection of the shower drain line and the horizontal line?

Thanks for your time!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A vent must be vertical so that is cannot contain water or hold waste if the system backs up. Your shower drain must be routed however need be so that the vent can rise vertically from the trap arm.
A vent can be turned horizontal only after it is at least 42" above the floor or 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture served by the vent, whichever is higher.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks