Help Identifying Shower Valve (So we can select the right trim)

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by banner18, Jan 11, 2009.

1. banner18

banner18 New Member

2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I think this was answered in the last forum you posted it in...:D
    Speakman...
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  3. banner18

banner18 New Member

Sounds like it isn't a SpeakMan

Hi - I've spoken with a Speakman sales rep and they tell me it isn't a speakman.

Thanks for all the help - any other ideas?
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Oh-Oh

Looks like you are in deep doo-doo...
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Perhaps there is something I don't understand here. It appears you have a old valve of unknown manufacture that is so old it does not have a modern scald control and you want to buy new trim for it. What I don't understand is why? A new valve is not that expensive, it would bring your shower up to date, and make selecting new trim very simple. Am I missing something???:confused:
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I would consider that to be a very good option.
    I'd consider the Delta R-10000 universal valve to be a good start.
  7. banner18

banner18 New Member

Honestly guys a lack of knowledge and poor planning put me in this predicament - with me having already tiled the shower before considering replacing the valve.

So I still have the option of punching through the backside of the shower to replace the valve, however having almost reached completion on the project, I was hoping to avoid more finish work...

That all said it is what it is, and I guess I just gotta suck it up and do it.
  8. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Oh yea, If you had the wall open and didn't upgrade that was a bad choice.
  9. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Not having some way to access the plumbing without major demolition isn't a very wise thing either. Sooner or later you will have to get to the plumbing behind that shower. What is on the other side of this wall? If it is a sheet rock wall, then the answer is simple. Open that wall. I'd devise a removable panel to repair the hole, but just repairing the drywall would work too. If it's a solid exterior wall, you may be forced to remove some tile. A plumber might be able to change out the valve with minimal damage to the tile.
  10. mattbee24

mattbee24 In the Trades

It is an older American Standard Cartridge. I think it is out of an Amarilis. You could find out for sure at your closest American Standard dealer. But I am 99% sure it is American Standard.